[comp.sys.mac] AU/X on an SE30

smith@origin (Steven Smith) (10/21/89)

Is it possible to run AU/X 1.1 on an SE/30 with an 80meg drive?  There
doesn't seem to be any hardware reason why it couldn't be done.

Steve Smith
smith@origin.life.uiuc.edu

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (10/21/89)

smith@origin (Steven Smith) writes:
>Is it possible to run AU/X 1.1 on an SE/30 with an 80meg drive?  There
>doesn't seem to be any hardware reason why it couldn't be done.

  I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you can run A/UX on an SE/30 if
it weren't for the fact that the people who wrote it hard-coded the screen
size & font size for the "window-CLI", so running it on an SE/30 the window is
too big and the font is too big to give you any resonable amount of information
on the screen.

  There could be other reasons, but they escape me right at this moment. I
also seem to remember hearing that there might be a new version that fixes
all of this so that an SE/30 can run A/UX, but it might be wishful thinking
on my part.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct20.223232.7607@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) writes:
>   I seem to remember hearing somewhere that you can run A/UX on an SE/30 if
> it weren't for the fact that the people who wrote it hard-coded the screen
> size & font size for the "window-CLI", so running it on an SE/30 the window is
> too big and the font is too big to give you any resonable amount of information
> on the screen.

I recently received numerous notes informing me that A/UX 1.1.1 (or 1.11?)
officially supports the SE/30. 1.1 actually did, except for AppleTalk
printing, so some marketing guy decided not to claim it ran on the SE/30.