[comp.sys.mac] Question concerning downloadable fonts

sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) (10/19/89)

I recently received the (supposedly) PostScript font MacHumaine from Stanford.
I really like the way it looks on screen, but when I try and print it
all I get is a very poor bitmap.  I'm printing from a Mac Plus to a Laser-
Writer IINTX using both WriteNow and PageMaker.  PM even claims that it is
downloading the font when it prints, but it is still not coming out PostScript.
Is there a special way I have to install it using Font/DA Mover?  Is one of the
document files that comes with the font a special resource I need to do
something with?  I've never used a downloadable PS font before (obviously), and
would appreciate any help you netters could give me.  Thanks...
								Blake

* Blake "Hey, where's *MY* fancy .signature?" Sobiloff *
*             sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu             *

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (10/20/89)

In article <7402@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) writes:
>I recently received the (supposedly) PostScript font MacHumaine from Stanford.
>I really like the way it looks on screen, but when I try and print it
>all I get is a very poor bitmap.  I'm printing from a Mac Plus to a Laser-
>Writer IINTX using both WriteNow and PageMaker.  PM even claims that it is
>downloading the font when it prints, but it is still not coming out PostScript.
>Is there a special way I have to install it using Font/DA Mover?  Is one of the
>document files that comes with the font a special resource I need to do
>something with?  I've never used a downloadable PS font before (obviously), and
>would appreciate any help you netters could give me.  Thanks...
>								Blake

You don't have to do anything special with the Font/DA Mover, but ...

To use Postscript fonts that are not resident in the machine you wish
to print to, you have to download the POSTSCRIPT to the printer. The
Font/DA Mover does not deal with Postscript. The Postscript is
contained in a file usually with a shortened version of the font name.
For MacHumaine, I believe it is called MacHuma. There are two ways
(that I know of, I'm sure there are more if you have a network server
containing fonts hooked up to your printer) to get the font Postscript
to the printer.

1. Put the above mentioned file(s) in your system folder.  When
needed, they will be sent to your printer.

2. Apple makes a utility to download fonts to the printer.  This may
be easier if you have little space in your system but plenty in your
printer. Use it to send the above mentioned Postscript files to the
printer.  This doesn't, however, work with any spoolers I'm aware of.

I've printed out some MacHumaine and I think it looks great.  I'm
ready to try it on a Linotronic.

    /--------------
   /         /|  /|  Paul Eric Menchen
  /------   / | / |  meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
 /         /  |/  |  meuchen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
/__________________

rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/21/89)

In article <7402@thor.acc.stolaf.edu>, sobiloff@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (Blake Sobiloff) writes:
> I recently received the (supposedly) PostScript font MacHumaine from Stanford.
> I really like the way it looks on screen, but when I try and print it
> all I get is a very poor bitmap.  I'm printing from a Mac Plus to a Laser-
> Writer IINTX using both WriteNow and PageMaker.  PM even claims that it is
> downloading the font when it prints, but it is still not coming out PostScript.
> Is there a special way I have to install it using Font/DA Mover?  Is one of the
> document files that comes with the font a special resource I need to do
> something with?  I've never used a downloadable PS font before (obviously), and
> would appreciate any help you netters could give me.  Thanks...
> 								Blake

Blake,
	A downloadable PostScript font for the Mac should come in two parts: a
screen font in a Font/DA Mover "suitcase" file, and the PostScript code
defining the character outlines.  The screen font is used by the Mac for screen
display, but when you print a document containing that font, the LaserWriter
driver will search the system folder, root directory, and current folder for
the printer font, and download that.  Only if it cannot find the printer font
will it construct a bitmap font on the fly from the screen font, and download
that, giving a message to that effect on the screen.  When it works properly,
you will get no messages about the fonts.

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Systems Engineer
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan.bitnet              AM Computer Products
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Southington, CT 06489