[comp.sys.mac] RR 10.3 startup screen...

spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (10/15/89)

I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.

Why can't I do this?  Yes, I bought RR 10.3, it's not a pirate copy.

No offense to Scott Watson, RR is a GREAT program.  It just isn't as functional
as his documentation would lead one to believe.

-=-
Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (10/15/89)

In article <350@oscsuna.osc.edu> spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
>I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
>manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
>dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
>RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
>dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.
>
>Why can't I do this?  Yes, I bought RR 10.3, it's not a pirate copy.
>
>No offense to Scott Watson, RR is a GREAT program.  It just isn't as functional
>as his documentation would lead one to believe.
>

>-=-
>Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
>ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
>Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
>spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

     I can vouch for the fact that it's not in the manual... I went over it
with a dissecting microscope while I was trying to figure out the same
problem. :)  But the manual does give a hint (holding down Option while
selecting "Personal Preferences..."), and I figured out the rest through trial
and error.
     To turn off the title screen, hold down All The Modifier Keys There Are
(Command, Option, Shift, Caps Lock; I use a Mac+ that doesn't have Control)
and select Personal Preferences...  (Fewer modifier keys would probably work,
but I've never bothered to figure out which ones it is--after all, this is
something you only do once...)  This should enable the "Enable title screen on
program startup" option, so you can turn it off.
     And yes, RR10.3 is a great program (yes, I'm registered too... :) ).
Now, if Scott would just bring back the simple way of setting serial port
settings, instead of the Dialog Box from Hell...

--
Internet: phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu    (Univ. of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

>I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
>manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
>dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
>RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
>dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.

>Why can't I do this?  Yes, I bought RR 10.3, it's not a pirate copy.

Look on page 139 of the manual. You have to enable the option before you can
access it -- I think it was Scott's subtle form of copy protection -- you
can't turn off the banner screen without the manual (and without memorizing
the thing -- it's hard to find). This is why I'm saying 'where' and not
'how' to fix it...

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Anyone who thinks that the argument over {sci,rec}.fishies is about
group names doesn't understand the system.

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (10/16/89)

I avoid the startup screen on Red Ryder 10.3 simply by double clicking
on Red's 10.3 Stuff instead of Red Ryder. It works for me.

    /--------------
   /         /|  /|  Paul Eric Menchen
  /------   / | / |  meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu
 /         /  |/  |  meuchen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
/__________________

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ronald Bannon) (10/16/89)

In article <15538@netnews.upenn.edu> meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:
>I avoid the startup screen on Red Ryder 10.3 simply by double clicking
>on Red's 10.3 Stuff instead of Red Ryder. It works for me.

Press Command-Shift before selecting the "Personal Preferences" from the
Customize menu. You will now be able to remove the startup screen.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

dpaight@HP-UX.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight) (10/16/89)

In article <350@oscsuna.osc.edu> spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
>I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
>manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
>dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
>RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
>dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.

I, too, have experienced this annoying inconsistency between manual
and program in RR.  One non-elegant way to get around it is to
invoke the program by double-clicking on any RR file except RR
itself (a proceedure file, Reds Stuff, Phone Books, etc.).

dp

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/16/89)

Stephen N. Spencer writes:

> I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the
> Red Ryder manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal
> Preferences..." dialog which lets the user turn off the startup
> screen's loading when starting RR up.  When I call up that dialog,
> however, that checkbox and option are dimmed -- I can't get to the
> checkbox to mark it.

It's necessary for you to hold down the shift key as you choose the
Personal Preferences menu choice.  (Actually, hold it down before you
select the menu.)  This enables that startup screen check box.

As an aside, here's what he says about how it's done in the new release,
White Knight 11.0:

>>* It is no longer necessary to hold down the Shift key while<<
>>choosing White Knight Options to turn off the option "Display<<
>>title screen at startup" (blush).<<

I think the "(blush)" says it all.  :-)  (From the New Features
announcement about the released-but-not-yet-shipping-until-the-
beginning-of-November White Knight 11.0, the successor to Red Ryder.  I'm
sure Norm Goodger will follow here sometime real soon with the whole
announcement/new features text.)

--Adam-

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/16/89)

the Wanderer sez:

>>Now, if Scott would just bring back the simple way of setting
>>serial port settings, instead of the Dialog Box from Hell...

You obviously mean, the simple, intuitive way it was done in 9.4.  No, I'm
afraid the dialog box from hell remains (although a bit tamed).  Scott
said, somewhere in the docs for Red 10.3, maybe it was in the ReadMe file,
that while some users (the bright ones :-)) thought the way he did it in
9.4 was elegant and intuitive, others thought it was ugly and non-
intuitive.  So he went with the dialog box, and also provided the PUTPARAM
methods to install so that serial port settings could be changed from the
keyboard.  Now the "ugly" group is pleased, but us "elegant" thinkers are
saying "UGLY!" (but are satisfied with the keyboard methods).

In other words, you can't please everybody.  At least he didn't say, "THEN
I WON'T TRY!" like so many Microsoft programmers seem to say.....

--Adam--

--

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/17/89)

In article <350@oscsuna.osc.edu> spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
>I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
>manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
>dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
>RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
>dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.

>Why can't I do this?  Yes, I bought RR 10.3, it's not a pirate copy.

>No offense to Scott Watson, RR is a GREAT program.  It just isn't as functional
>as his documentation would lead one to believe.

This was a documentation oversite. The startupscreen can be disabled by
pressing the shift-key while selecting personal preferences from the
Customize Menu.

Version 11 that was just announced eliminates this oversite by removing
the need to use the shift key to enable that item. So you will be
able to remove the startup screen easily if you upgrade to version 11.

If you have other questions, I'll see what I can do here. Though I am on
GEnie in the Freesoft RT more than here. Though I try to read and keep
up here, sometimes its difficult..

>Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
>ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
>Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
>spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/17/89)

Yes, you can double-click on Red's 10.3 Stuff to avoid the startup screen.
You can also hold down the shift key as you pull down the Customize menu
and choose Personal Preferences.  This undims the 'startup screen' option
so that it can be checked and unchecked.

--Adam--

--

Jim.Dynes@f2811.n206.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Dynes) (10/18/89)

SNS> I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the
SNS> Red Ryder manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal
SNS> Preferences..."  dialog which lets the user turn off the startup
SNS> screen's loading when starting RR up.  When I call up that dialog,
SNS> however, that checkbox and option are dimmed -- I can't get to the
SNS> checkbox to mark it.  Why can't I do this?  Yes, I bought RR 10.3,
SNS> it's not a pirate copy.    No offense to Scott Watson, RR is a GREAT
SNS> program.  It just isn't as functional as his documentation would lead
SNS> one to believe.

I believe that you have to depress the option key to enable that item.

--
Jim Dynes via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!206!2811!Jim.Dynes

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/19/89)

As quoted from <2008@network.ucsd.edu> by dpaight@HP-UX.ucsd.edu (Dan Paight):
+---------------
| In article <350@oscsuna.osc.edu> spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
| >I have a question concerning RR 10.3 and the startup screen.  In the Red Ryder
| >manual on page 64 it talks of the option in the "Personal Preferences..."
| >dialog which lets the user turn off the startup screen's loading when starting
| >RR up.  When I call up that dialog, however, that checkbox and option are
| >dimmed -- I can't get to the checkbox to mark it.
|
| I, too, have experienced this annoying inconsistency between manual
| and program in RR.  One non-elegant way to get around it is to
| invoke the program by double-clicking on any RR file except RR
| itself (a proceedure file, Reds Stuff, Phone Books, etc.).
+---------------

PUTPARAM 65, 1 (says another part of the manual)

I agree, though; it's a bit annoying to have the checkbox and not be able to
do anything with it.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

Craig.Kerwien@f347.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Craig Kerwien) (10/22/89)

Just before you open that dialog, hold down the option key: Volia! The
check mark box becomes selectable. This little bugger will go away with
White Knight.

Craig.

--
Craig Kerwien via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!347!Craig.Kerwien