[comp.sys.mac] Microsoft Works

zcnj01@gpb6.uucp (Cecil N. Jones) (10/06/89)

I am thinking of purchasing Microsoft Works for my Plus.  I would
appreciate your opinions, pros and cons.  Please e-mail.

Thanks in advance -

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  cjones@trc.amoco.com  _or_  uunet!apctrc!cjones
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.

consp22@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Mac Hack) (10/06/89)

To: zcnj01@gpb6.UUCP
Subject: Re: Microsoft Works
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Bcc:

   MicroSoft Works is a fantastic program.  It now suports colr printing on a
Imagewriter II and LQ.  It has a built in painting program.  It run nice and
quick, even on a plus.  Whenever I sell a Mac to a beginning computer user, and
they need a good solid program to start with, I sell MicroSoft Works.  It is a
good, integrated package that anybody can use.  It is the easiest program to do
mail merging with too. I highly recommend it.

|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|                                       |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
       If all the world is a stage, then it needs better lighting. - Me
	    Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker! - Willy Wonka

goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU (10/12/89)

For anybody who needs a copy of Microsoft Works, I have one for sale.
It's version 2.0, not yet registered, all original disks and manuals.
Price is $175.

Please E-mail me if you are interested.

Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@hcx9.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science		BITNET: goldfarb@ucf1vm.BITNET

ostroff@rocky.oswego.edu (Boyd Ostroff) (10/21/89)

In article <2600026@hcx9> goldfarb@hcx9.UCF.EDU writes:
>For anybody who needs a copy of Microsoft Works, I have one for sale.
>It's version 2.0, not yet registered, all original disks and manuals.
>Price is $175.

Maybe this isn't such a great deal if you're a University student or faculty
member.  According to a promo packet I recently received, you're eligible
to get "Academic Editions" at a discount.  Through this program, Works costs
$129, or only $89.50 if you buy 10 copies.  Again, quoting their literature,
the following is also available:

Microsoft Excel $189 ($132.30 for 10-pack)
Microsoft Word $120 ($60 for 10-pack)
Microsoft PowerPoint $149

These are supposed to be complete editions, with all manuals, updates and
warranties, but are for "academic use only".  It says to call 800-227-4679
for purchasing info, but basically I think you just go to a local dealer
and present valid university ID.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this and have no interest in Microsoft; they
just send me their junk mail :-)

Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director ||||||| System Administrator, "The CallBoard"
Theatre Department, SUNY Oswego  ||||||| Serving the performing arts since 1986
        (315) 341-2987           ||||||| (315) 947-6414  300/1200/2400 baud 8N1
ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU     ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!cboard!ostroff

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/22/89)

Boyd Ostroff writes:

>>For anybody who needs a copy of Microsoft Works, I have one for
>>sale. It's version 2.0, not yet registered, all original disks and
>>manuals. Price is $175.
>
>Maybe this isn't such a great deal if you're a University student or
>faculty member.  According to a promo packet I recently received,
>you're eligible to get "Academic Editions" at a discount.  Through
>this program, Works costs $129, or only $89.50 if you buy 10 copies.
>Again, quoting their literature, the following is also available:
>
>Microsoft Excel $189 ($132.30 for 10-pack) Microsoft Word $120 ($60
>for 10-pack) Microsoft PowerPoint $149
>
>These are supposed to be complete editions, with all manuals,
>updates and warranties, but are for "academic use only".  It says to
>call 800-227-4679 for purchasing info, but basically I think you
>just go to a local dealer and present valid university ID.
>
>DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this and have no interest in Microsoft;
>they just send me their junk mail :-)

Well, here's the scoop here at Ohio State:  they sell Word 4 for $90, and
Works 2.0 for, I believe, under $100 (or else _right_ over $100).  I know
the Works package includes all docs (friend of mine bought it), can't
speak for the Word package.  (The PC Word 5 package includes all docs,
though.)  I don't think OSU offers any discounts for 10 packages or
whatever.  Yes, you need university ID (most of the time, depends on what
kind of mood the cashier's in.  8-))  Excel and PowerPoint are also
available.  OSU computer store sells other stuff, like Ashton-Tate
products, Symantec stuff, and Claris (MacWrite II, complete with manuals,
is $45; however, even though you register your program, you don't get
support from Claris--you must get it through your university.  But, I did
manage to get the nice folks at Claris to send me, free, MWII 1.0v2 that
fixes the cut/paste bug.)

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix