[comp.sys.mac] GIF HELP

deano@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Dean Benz) (10/21/89)

I didn't give many details in my first posting so I thought I'd fix that in my
second plee for help!

Well, I'm running FTP on a Sun 4/280-32R1 running SunOS 4.0.3. I open the
remote server. set the type to binary then execute a get or mget to retrieve
the file I want. I then exit ftp and download the file to my mac using
XMODEM 3.4 the command xmodem -sbyl foo.gif. The receiveing program was
either Microphone II or Versaterm 4.0 I've tried both!! Any Ideas??? Has
anyone actually done this? I was able to get the ones from SUMEX but I've been
trying to get the files on hubcap.clemson.edu and on uxe.cso.uiuc.edu!
The GIFs on SUMEX have been binhexed so they don't present
a problem. does FTP have a line length limit or perhaps a ascii char.
limitation of some form?
                                        Thanks in advance

deano@ucrmath.ucr.edu

barry@playfair.STANFORD.EDU (barry) (10/22/89)

In article <2153@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> deano@ucrmath.UCR.EDU () writes:
>I didn't give many details in my first posting so I thought I'd fix that in my
>second plee for help!
>
>Well, I'm running FTP on a Sun 4/280-32R1 running SunOS 4.0.3. I open the
>remote server. set the type to binary then execute a get or mget to retrieve
>the file I want. I then exit ftp and download the file to my mac using
>XMODEM 3.4 the command xmodem -sbyl foo.gif. The receiveing program was
>either Microphone II or Versaterm 4.0 I've tried both!! Any Ideas??? Has
>anyone actually done this? I was able to get the ones from SUMEX but I've been
>trying to get the files on hubcap.clemson.edu and on uxe.cso.uiuc.edu!
>The GIFs on SUMEX have been binhexed so they don't present
>a problem. does FTP have a line length limit or perhaps a ascii char.
>limitation of some form?
>                                        Thanks in advance
>
>deano@ucrmath.ucr.edu

Well, actually, this is a rather nice description of all the right
things to do in downloading a GIF file to the Mac. I have done it
in exactly the same way myself. The only two details you do not
mention, and therefore probably where your problem lies, are:

1) You must change the protocol to "Binary Ymodem" instead of
"MacBinary Ymodem" in Versaterm. GIF files are machine-independent
binary files, and if your terminal program tries to translate them
as MacBinary encoded files, you end up with garbage.

2) You have to have a clean 8-bit path to your Unix host. If you
dial directly in to a modem port on your machine, this is probably
not a problem, but for instance when I access my Unix account at
Stanford I dial into an EtherTip, and I have to turn off the escape
and flow control at the tip and then use rlogin with the -8 modifier
to get an 8-bit path to my machine. If you have successfully downloaded
MacBinary files (.bin) then you do not have this problem, so see
1) above.

Good luck.
Barry Eynon
barry@playfair.stanford.edu        -ARPA
...!decwrl!shasta!playfair!barry   -USENET