[comp.sys.mac] Usenet idea vs. SAM

lef@raybed2.UUCP (LEE FYOCK) (10/19/89)

I remember quite a while ago, someone said, "Hey, wouldn't it be
neat if there were a virus checker that would scan floppies as
they were inserted?"  The general consensus seemed to be "Nah,
that'd take too long."  Some time later, SAM Intercept comes out
on the market, and wow, it doesn't take so long after all.  Was
this coincidence, foreknowledge on the original poster's part,
or Symantec picking up a good idea?

I'm not flaming Symantec.  On the contrary, SAM has an excellent
interface and performs its job extremely well.

Lee Fyock                          Raytheon MSD
lef@raybed6.RAY.COM                Advanced Systems Section
lef%raybed6.RAY.COM@cs.uiuc.edu

kent@sunfs3.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (10/23/89)

In article <1392@raybed2.UUCP> lef@raybed2.UUCP (LEE FYOCK) writes:

>I remember quite a while ago, someone said, "Hey, wouldn't it be
>neat if there were a virus checker that would scan floppies as
>they were inserted?"  The general consensus seemed to be "Nah,
>that'd take too long."  Some time later, SAM Intercept comes out
>on the market, and wow, it doesn't take so long after all.  Was

I have discovered another way.  If you use MultiFinder, use
VirusDetective.  Open it, then go into the Finder's "Set Startup..."
dialog.  Say that you want the open applications and DAs to run.

Be sure the "Automatically Scan New Disks" option is checked.

Now, every time you start your Macintosh you will have to drag the
VirusDetective window out ot the way.  (I park mine so just a corner
is showing in the lower right corner of the screen.)

One hitch: If VirusDetective is in front when you insert a disk, it
will check the disk, but then it will spit it back out.  If you
actually want to use the disk, first click in some window other than
VirusDetective's.

--
Kent Borg				"Wouldn't it be fun not to be famous?
kent@lloyd.uucp				 Wouldn't it be fun not to be rich?"