[comp.sys.mac] Use of AFM files. Was: Re: How to install MacHumaine?

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (10/23/89)

In article <2378@eagle.wesleyan.edu> rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
? [deleted instructions on installing a font]

>The AFM (Adobe Font Metric) file is not necessary in order to use the font; the
>two steps above are all the Mac needs.  The AFM files contain information about
>the font that is intended for application use, but I know of no applications
>that actually use them (PageMaker, perhaps?).

I use them a lot, but the applications I write are not for the general public,
so you'll never see them.  They are particularly useful if you intend to do
page formatting untouched by human hands, in an environment where the screen
fonts are not available (the screen fonts contain some of the same stuff
that the AFM has).  Or in any environment where you want to produce "raw"
postscript that does not use the LaserPrep package.

I use them in typesetting directories (independent telephone yellow pages)
directly from the files that contain the customer info.  The output is done
from a non-mac machine, without LaserPrep.  Believe me, its lots faster
this way -- the mac way of speaking to a printer is very flexible and
very general, but you pay a lot for that.

I wonder if there are others out there that are doing "roll-your-own"
PostScript?  I would like to hear what you're up to.