[comp.sys.mac] Popup items

baulac@imag.imag.fr (Yves Baulac) (10/20/89)

We develop, in Grenoble University, educational softwares and I have a small
problem with the interface, someone might be able to solve.
I would just like to display the items of a pop-up menu in a different font and
size, i.e. in geneva 9 bold, as it would be, in our case, more readable.Trying
to force the global SysFontFam to geneva will work, but, despite this global is
forced back to 0 immediatly after the call to PopupMenuSelect, the main menus
will not be always(!) displayed in the usual chicago font. And SysFontSize seems
not to be read by PopupMenuSelect.What must I do and is there any higher
levelled way of doing it ? For sure the information is in Volume 5 or
in the Technical Notes but I was unable to find it.
Thank's.
--
Yves Baulac   Laboratoire Structures Discretes  Institut IMAG
		 BP 53X - 38041 GRENOBLE Cedex   France

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (10/23/89)

In article <6381@imag.imag.fr> baulac@imag.fr (Yves Baulac) writes:
>We develop, in Grenoble University, educational softwares and I have a small
>problem with the interface, someone might be able to solve.
>I would just like to display the items of a pop-up menu in a different font and
>size, i.e. in geneva 9 bold, as it would be, in our case, more readable.Trying
>to force the global SysFontFam to geneva will work, but, despite this global is
>forced back to 0 immediatly after the call to PopupMenuSelect, the main menus
>will not be always(!) displayed in the usual chicago font. And SysFontSize seems
>not to be read by PopupMenuSelect.What must I do and is there any higher
>levelled way of doing it ? For sure the information is in Volume 5 or
>in the Technical Notes but I was unable to find it.
>Thank's.

You might try using the Popup Menu CDEF which is part of the Communications
Toolbox (and will eventually be included as a part of System 7.0)
which allows the control to use the owning windows font and size
for the popup both in its quiescent state and for the the menu when it is
popped up.

*** NOTE MESSING WITH WINDOW MANAGER PORT IS BAD ***
*** NOTE MESSING WITH LOW MEMNORY IS BAD         ***
You are sort of on the right track with stuffing SysFontFam and SysFontSize
but you may need to play with the window manager port and/or color window
manager ports.  You may also need to flush the font manager cache.
*** NOTE MESSING WITH WINDOW MANAGER PORT IS BAD ***
*** NOTE MESSING WITH LOW MEMNORY IS BAD         ***
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat      "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM