[comp.sys.mac] Ridiculous System memory reserves...

cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) (10/23/89)

Hey!  This is what is probably a simple problem, but I can't solve it,
so here goes...

It never used to do this, but when I boot up, the System seems to be
reserving just under two megs for itself.  This is without any inits or
additional cdevs active.  This problem may or may not be related to a
hard disk problem I had recently where I was forced to reformat the
drive.  (I was DiskExpressing it and I got a broadcast, and the whole
thing bit the dust.)

I've got a list of things here that I've got active, as well as some
system stats:

I'm running an SE/30, system 6.0.3.  Total memory: 5120K

Only the standard DAs (those supplied as part of the system) were active.

Only the standard CDEVs and INITs were active.

The TimeTalker FKEY (completely useless) is active as CMD-SHIFT-9.

It never used to do this before, and I can't figure out why it's doing
it now.

-CParker
cp26@andrew.cmu.edu

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (10/23/89)

In article <0ZEZ8MO00WBK42FUsQ@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:

>It never used to do this, but when I boot up, the System seems to be
>reserving just under two megs for itself.  This is without any inits or
>additional cdevs active.  This problem may or may not be related to a
>hard disk problem I had recently where I was forced to reformat the
>drive.  (I was DiskExpressing it and I got a broadcast, and the whole
>thing bit the dust.)

Have you tried looking at the RAM cache setting in the Control Panel
(under General)?  It may be that you have a meg or so set aside for this
cache, and it is being counted in the system size.

						Eric Ly
						CSLI, Stanford University

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Ridiculous System memory reserves...
In article <0ZEZ8MO00WBK42FUsQ@andrew.cmu.edu> cp26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Christopher Thomas Parker) writes:
>Hey!  This is what is probably a simple problem, but I can't solve it,
>so here goes...
>
>It never used to do this, but when I boot up, the System seems to be
>reserving just under two megs for itself.  This is without any inits or
>additional cdevs active.  This problem may or may not be related to a
>hard disk problem I had recently where I was forced to reformat the
>drive.  (I was DiskExpressing it and I got a broadcast, and the whole
>thing bit the dust.)
>
>I've got a list of things here that I've got active, as well as some
>system stats:
>
>I'm running an SE/30, system 6.0.3.  Total memory: 5120K
>
>Only the standard DAs (those supplied as part of the system) were active.
>
>Only the standard CDEVs and INITs were active.
>
>The TimeTalker FKEY (completely useless) is active as CMD-SHIFT-9.
>
>It never used to do this before, and I can't figure out why it's doing
>it now.

Have you tried looking at the RAM cache setting in the Control Panel
(under General)?  It may be that you have set aside a meg or more for this
cache, and it is being counted in the system size.

                                                Eric Ly
                                                CSLI, Stanford University

sg1m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Edward Greenholt) (10/23/89)

Check in the Control Panel under General to see if the Ram Cache is
turned on.  If it is, turn it off and reboot.  The Ram Cache is for
reserving memory to run things in and is reserved when you boot up.  You
can also adjust the amount of memory that is reserved.

Hope this is it.

Scott.