[comp.sys.mac] Robotwar?

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (10/23/89)

 A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away (actually,
 about 10 years ago on my Apple II) I remember a game with a
 name like "ROBOTWAR".  This game was something like daleks, but
 you had a robot tank which you could program with instructions
 to scan for enemy robots, range on them, and fire missles.
 You could also program movements, and so forth.

 Was this ever ported over to the Mac (or was it on a Mac...
 I can't remember), especially in shareware form?

 I have a colleague who is teaching an artifical intelligence
 class who might be interested in this game as a teaching aid.

 Please e-mail me or post here if you have information.

 Many thanks--

  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
   USENET: ...arizona!naucse!rrw  | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX  | WB5KXH

jg13@umd5.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (10/24/89)

In article <1759@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:

> A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away (actually,
> about 10 years ago on my Apple II) I remember a game with a
> name like "ROBOTWAR".  This game was something like daleks, but
> you had a robot tank which you could program with instructions
> to scan for enemy robots, range on them, and fire missles.
> You could also program movements, and so forth.
>
> Was this ever ported over to the Mac (or was it on a Mac...
> I can't remember), especially in shareware form?

I remember a game that a friend of mine had on his Mac 512 K (alas, it
dies a horrible death when you attempt to run it on a Mac II...
It was called ChipWits (NOT PD software  --  he bought this)
You control a robot by writing a sort of program for him to follow.
Then you set him loose, and he has to fend for himself, zapping enemies
with a ray, or getting goodies, like cans of oil.  You have to be pretty
clever to make a good program, and it's a good exercise in artificial
intelligence.

                               - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.