[comp.sys.mac] Where can I get the latest version of Control Panel?

synth@NCoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) (10/21/89)

I am looking for the latest version of Apple's Control Panel. I didn't see it
on Genie. Does anyone know where I can get it?

On another topic, how do I incorporate cdev's into my system?

						-Steve

Steve Juhasz
synth@ncoast.org
ncoast!synth@hal.cwru.edu
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!synth

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct20.205108.17442@NCoast.ORG> synth@ncoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) writes:
>I am looking for the latest version of Apple's Control Panel. I didn't see it
>on Genie. Does anyone know where I can get it?

You can obtain the Control Panel desk accessory as part of the Macintosh
System Software disks which are available from any authorized Apple dealer.

You should use the Installer application that comes on the system software
disks to install a complete set of system software - this updates the system
file and other files in the system folder by installing updated versions of
software and other enhancements.

>On another topic, how do I incorporate cdev's into my system?

cdev's are simply files of type cdev which reside in the System Folder.
For more information on how to write a cdev, look at Inside Macintosh Vol V.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat      "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct20.205108.17442@NCoast.ORG> synth@ncoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) writes:
>I am looking for the latest version of Apple's Control Panel. I didn't see it
>on Genie. Does anyone know where I can get it?
>On another topic, how do I incorporate cdev's into my system?

Steve, the latest version of the control panel is always installed
in the latest system release. CDEV's are installed by moving them
into the System Folder so that when you open the control panel they
can be found as that is the only place the control panel looks for them.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Allen Edmiston) (10/24/89)

In article <35843@apple.Apple.COM>, han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) says:
>You can obtain the Control Panel desk accessory as part of the Macintosh
>System Software disks which are available from any authorized Apple dealer.
>| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
>Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat      "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"

ya know what got me by surprise today? i went out to my local apple dealer,
looking for the latest system software ... and it seems they wanted $49 bucks
this is new to me, i always thought apple let you update your software for
free. could someone from apple PLEASE explain why they're now charging for
updates? for $49 dollars it's not worth my time to update if system 7.0 is
going to be coming out soon, why pay twice. somebody please explain.

                                                  Borrowed account, reply
                                                  to the newsgroup or to
                                                  axs@psuarch.bitnet
                                                  Adrian Sullivan

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (10/24/89)

In article <89296.172756ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET> ALE101@PSUVM.BITNET (Allen Edmiston) writes:
#>In article <35843@apple.Apple.COM>, han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) says:
#>>You can obtain the Control Panel desk accessory as part of the Macintosh
#>>System Software disks which are available from any authorized Apple dealer.
#>>| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
#>>Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat      "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
#>
#>ya know what got me by surprise today? i went out to my local apple dealer,
#>looking for the latest system software ... and it seems they wanted $49 bucks
#>this is new to me, i always thought apple let you update your software for
#>free. could someone from apple PLEASE explain why they're now charging for
#>updates? for $49 dollars it's not worth my time to update if system 7.0 is
#>going to be coming out soon, why pay twice. somebody please explain.
#>
#>
#>                                                  Borrowed account, reply
#>                                                  to the newsgroup or to
#>                                                  axs@psuarch.bitnet
#>                                                  Adrian Sullivan

My understanding of the policy is that Apple encourages your
dealer to update your system for free, though that's up to your
dealer, who can charge if he or she wants. However, the $49 also
covers the new system manuals and disks. If you don't need those,
you should be able to find somebody willing to provide you with
free updates.

Steve Goldfield