[comp.sys.mac] Systat: stats on the mac

jbence@sonia.math.ucla.edu (James K. Bence) (10/15/89)

I have a friend (a psych grad student) who owns a Mac Plus, with 1 MB
RAM and a 30 MB external hard disk.  She has heard about a statistics
package called SYSTAT, but really doesn't know anything about it other
than the fact that it exists.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this program?  Or other
programs of similiar type?  Any replies, via the net or e-mail, would
be greatly appreciated!

e-mail:  jbence@math.ucla.edu

jg13@umd5.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (10/16/89)

In article <1877@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> jbence@math.ucla.edu (James K. Bence) writes:
>I have a friend (a psych grad student) who owns a Mac Plus, with 1 MB
>RAM and a 30 MB external hard disk.  She has heard about a statistics
>package called SYSTAT, but really doesn't know anything about it other
>than the fact that it exists.

I've seen this program, and I'm not impressed.  It doesn't follow the
standard MAC user interface, and doesn't do things that you really have
to be able to do with such a program.  For example, you cannot print out
the data.  Stupid, no?  My next door neighbor was using this program for
a class, and she needed a printout of the data.  She called me over, and
the only way I could do it was to do screen dumps.  It can print graphs,
but not the actual data.

                              - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.

whiteheada@yvax.byu.edu (10/16/89)

It is true that the current version of Systat is poorly "MacIntized"
but the company is currently working on a new version that is supposed
to be much more Mac like.  The current version has pull down menus for
many of its features.  One feature is the re-direction of output from
the screen to the printer despite what your friend says.

Systat is by far the most powerful stat program on the Mac, but it does
have a steep learning curve.  I understand that the company's Fastat
is much like what the new version will look like.

Robb.Lang@f31.n343.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Robb Lang) (10/18/89)

Re. SYSTAT on a Mac+.

SYSTAT is rather expensive. The company (SYSTAT, Inc.) also produces
FASTAT which is a slightly less comprehensive version but attempts to be
more Mac-like. The interface still isn't all that great, but is useable.
Also lets you use a command line-type interface for batch processing
large data sets, etc. I've used it successfully on my Plus for some of my
grad work and it fills about 95% of the bill. I tend to do the data setup
in Excel (also better for sorting, etc) and then import it to FASTAT. The
company is fairly helpful on providing product info. My manual lists
their address as 1800 Sherman Ave., Evanston, IL  60201. Telephone is
(312) 864-5670.  PS. FASTAT also costs a lot less than SYSTAT.

--
Robb Lang via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!343!31!Robb.Lang

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) (10/20/89)

I have heard of other stats packages for the Mac.  ySTAT
is available from Ming Telecomputing in Lincoln Center, MA.
It is a "spreadsheet" like program very capable.

Also I think RATS is now available for the mac.  VAR
Econometrics in Minneapolis I think.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (10/24/89)

I believe that the company that publishes Systat (see other replies for
address, etc., I don't have it handy) will give you (or your friend, or both)
a free copy of a limited, student version of Systat, called MyStat, if you
just call and ask. It's a fully functional version, but I think it has a limit
of 50 variables, or something like that. Sorry so sketchy on the details; I am
not now, nor have I ever been, a statistician.