[comp.sys.mac] Appletalk signal drivers

lupin@bogart.WEITEK.COM (Ed Lupin) (10/14/89)

Can someone please tell me what the current requirements are to
drive the Appletalk network, or better yet, a recommended circuit
that has worked well?  We plan to parallel two ICL7660's to get
sufficient -5V current, and use 26LS30's and 26LS32's, but is that
the most efficient method?  Our PC board space is limited.

Also, Inside Appletalk suggests that Appletalk may be driven unipolarly,
with +5V and 0V only.  I have my doubts.  Comments?

Thank you.

Ed

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (10/24/89)

In article <829@bogart.WEITEK.COM> lupin@bogart.WEITEK.COM (Ed Lupin) writes:
>Also, Inside Appletalk suggests that Appletalk may be driven unipolarly,
>with +5V and 0V only.  I have my doubts.  Comments?

If you're putting in filters like Apple has in the Macs, drive it with
+/- 5 volts, otherwise you can just use +5.  The filters throw away
about half the signal.  We're using 75176's as drivers, and there's a
bunch of others to look at rather than the 26ls30.

All of this is from memory - our stuff was designed in '84.

--
Steve Ligett       steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or
(decvax harvard linus true)!dartvax!steve.ligett