[comp.sys.mac] Problem with Aldus Freehand

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (10/23/89)

I've got a problem with Aldus Freehand that I can't work around.  It's
the latest version of Freehand (2.0?), just bought recently.  I'm running
it on a IIcx with 5 mbytes of memory, using system 6.0.3.  The behavior
of the program is the same under MF or Unifinder.

Briefly, there seems to be some arbitrary (and low) limit on the size of
a bitmap that I can import.  I scanned some material at various resolutions
from 75dpi to 300dpi using an Apple scanner and one-bit-per-pixel, and saved
them as PICT II.  MacDraw II cheerfully imports any and all of these large
bitmaps, but Freehand always complains about too little memory.  Even
a quite modestly-sized bitmap, only about 3"x4" at 75 dpi, wouldn't load.

Whasamatta dis program??!??  I had heard various reports about problems
with Applescan's PICT format, so I imported it into MacDraw II and
tried resaving it as PICT (I), and then reimporting the result into
Freehand.  Still no luck.  I also tried Superpaint as the intermediary, alas
with the same result.

Sigh.  As of now I've given up and am using MacDraw II to trace over the
scanned image.  It works fine, except for the one VERY annoying detail that
MacDraw II doesn't know how to convolve a 50% grey mask over the scanned
bitmap, so it's hard to distinguish the original art from the lines
that are traced over it.  (If anyone from Claris is listening, this is
one of the few features that is really lacking in MacDraw II -- along with
editable bezier or spline curves -- that keeps it from being even more
competitive with the Illustrator/Freehand drawing programs, IMHO.)

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem, and if so, has anyone
found a workaround or fix?  (Yes, I know that I can ask Aldus, but I'm
reluctant to start the clock running on my free support period.  Just
cheap, I guess. :-$

-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

>Briefly, there seems to be some arbitrary (and low) limit on the size of
>a bitmap that I can import.  I scanned some material at various resolutions
>from 75dpi to 300dpi using an Apple scanner and one-bit-per-pixel, and saved
>them as PICT II.

What I do is save them in TIFF format and import them into Freehand that
way. Never had a problem.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (10/25/89)

In article <3490@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:
>Briefly, there seems to be some arbitrary (and low) limit on the size of
>a bitmap that I can import.  I scanned some material at various resolutions
>from 75dpi to 300dpi using an Apple scanner and one-bit-per-pixel, and saved
>them as PICT II.  MacDraw II cheerfully imports any and all of these large
>bitmaps, but Freehand always complains about too little memory.  Even
>a quite modestly-sized bitmap, only about 3"x4" at 75 dpi, wouldn't load.
>
>Whasamatta dis program??!??  I had heard various reports about problems
>with Applescan's PICT format, so I imported it into MacDraw II and

One problem I've had with AppleScan is that if you ask it to save the
document, it saves *the whole page*, including any blank areas around
the part of the page you're really interested in.  I had a small 2x2"
logo that I scanned at 300dpi; when I selected "Save", the resulting
file was almost 300K.  "Save selection", however, with just the logo
selected, created a much smaller file that I then had no trouble
working with.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."