[comp.sys.mac] HP laser Jet and Mac

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (10/19/89)

Hi I need a quick solution to a small problem.  I need to hook an HP Laserjet
II to a Mac for someone.  Who sells the drivers? Will a grappler LQ work? or
is there a better solution ? (I know, I know, buy a Laserwriter, but they have
access to this printer at this time.

Thanks in advance
  Marty

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (10/21/89)

In article <-538823937@cpl-mfh.UUCP> martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) writes:
> I need to hook an HP Laserjet II to a Mac for someone.  Who sells the
drivers?

Find a product called MacPrint advertised in all the major Mac
periodicals full-page and full-color.

> Will a grappler LQ work?

I really doubt it. I think that option wants a model of the Epson LQ
series printer, and even if the HP emulates it, the cabling is probably
wrong.
--

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/24/89)

As quoted from <2629@hub.UUCP> by 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu:
+---------------
| In article <-538823937@cpl-mfh.UUCP> martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) writes:
| > I need to hook an HP Laserjet II to a Mac for someone.  Who sells the
| > drivers?
| > Will a grappler LQ work?
|
| I really doubt it. I think that option wants a model of the Epson LQ
| series printer, and even if the HP emulates it, the cabling is probably
| wrong.
+---------------

The Grappler LQ (parallel) and Grappler LS (serial) both support the HP
LaserJet directly, and yes, the cabling works fine as is.  However, it doesn't
do all that well:  it maps 4x fonts (288dpi) to a 300dpi device, and thereby
introduces distortion.

Moreover, it's slower and requires more memory than a native-mode driver.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

parent@apple.com (Sean Parent) (10/25/89)

writes:
> > I need to hook an HP Laserjet II to a Mac for someone.  Who sells the
> drivers?
>
> Find a product called MacPrint advertised in all the major Mac
> periodicals full-page and full-color.
>
> > Will a grappler LQ work?
>
> I really doubt it. I think that option wants a model of the Epson LQ
> series printer, and even if the HP emulates it, the cabling is probably
> wrong.

The Grappler LQ will work with the Epson LQ series and Toshiba P series 24
pin printers, HP LaserJet printers (recommended 1 meg of RAM), and HP
DeskJet printers, and all compatibles. For HP LaserJet printers with a
serial port capable of 19.2Kbaud and the HP DeskJet there is the Grappler
LS (no hardware just a serial cable). Note that the LS does not support
any 24 pin printers. There is also the Grappler LX, a faster version of
the Grapple LQ. You will only really see the speed difference of the LX if
you have a Mac II(x/cx/ci) or SE/30 and a speedy printer like the DeskJet+
(I don't know about the LaserJet IID).

They all come with a spooler and fonts (Courier, Dutch (Times like), and
Swiss (Helvetica Like) from BitStream). They work on any Mac with at least
1 meg of memory but 2 meg is strongly recommended. I am not aware of any
software compatibility problems.

There is also a Grappler 9pin (formally C/Mac/GS) that works with most
9pin printers (and can also be used from an Apple IIc or GS). The Grappler
9pin does not include spooler or fonts (works with ImageWriter fonts and
driver).

If you have an ImageWriter (I, II, or LQ) or the Grappler 9pin then you
can use the Grappler Spooler.

That is my public service announcement for Orange Micro.

Sean Parent
"Quality unattainable in a reasonable amount of time."

parent@apple.com (Sean Parent) (10/25/89)

In article <1989Oct23.235226.19534@NCoast.ORG> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon
S. Allbery) writes:
> The Grappler LQ (parallel) and Grappler LS (serial) both support the HP
> LaserJet directly, and yes, the cabling works fine as is.  However, it
doesn't
> do all that well:  it maps 4x fonts (288dpi) to a 300dpi device, and
thereby
> introduces distortion.
>
> Moreover, it's slower and requires more memory than a native-mode driver.

There is a 4% reduction option that ruduces distortion of the fonts (it is
minor to begin with). You can also use it with ATM rather and get the best
quality ATM can produce (no distortion). It requires more memory but uses
that memory for the spooler (requires about as much memory as the SuperMac
spooler does for the ImageWriter LQ.) I have not seen (or even heard
reports of) a standard driver that is faster then either the LX or LS. I
have only seen slower drivers (that is not to say that one could not be
made).