[comp.sys.mac] Re^5: finder irritation

dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (10/24/89)

[jsp@key.COM (James Preston) replies:]

[[(David Hairston) writes:]]
>>on the mac, file copying/moving is almost too simple.
    {stuff deleted...}
.
>Different strokes for different folks.  Not everyone does things the way you
>do, and trying to tell someone that his complaint is not valid because he
>can change his method of operation and thereby remove the irritation is not
>acceptable.  I don't like to clutter my screen with unnecessary windows.  I
>don't normally open a folder unless it is absolutely necessary.  To copy
>a file from folder A to folder B, it is not required that you open folder B,
>only that you can see it.  So your "solution" ("all you need to do is hit a
>pixel in that window") just doesn't work for me. ...
    {stuff deleted...}
.
the point that i was trying to make was that if you "thoughtfully"
isolate your destination folder (or folder window) before you work with
the source window you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. it's a simple
procedure, it works and you don't have to try it if you don't want to.
i think the original "irritation" is somewhat silly in light of this fact.
.
>command lines [are] not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  Folks
>like you who seem to be saying, "Oh what are you complaining about? I don't
>have any problem with it, and anyway it's better than MS-DOS" are not being
>particularly helpful.  I would like to think that, in this forum, we could
>avoid both MS-DOS bashing and Mac bashing.  That someone could say, "Hey..."
    {stuff deleted...}
.
hey... i said "what are you complaining about and why do you think MS-DOS
and/or Unix is any better than the Mac interface?". again that's in light
of the trivial procedural work-around discussed previously. defending the
Mac does not constitute MS-DOS/Unix bashing in my book.
.
>I hope that this doesn't sound like I'm flaming Mr. Hairston, because that is
>not my intent.  I'm sure that he meant to be helpful.  I'm only trying to
>point out that saying "You should change the way you do things" is not always
>the best solution.  --James Preston
.
i'm only saying that if you try the procedural one-liner:
"to move files: isolate the destination folder first, then go to the source",
you may avoid some unneeded irritation. nothing more, nothing less. i hope
this doesn't sound like i'm offended ...

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

jsp@key.COM (James Preston) (10/25/89)

In article <AZEpkn200WB78QuEYr@andrew.cmu.edu> dh07+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
> . . .
>the point that i was trying to make was that if you "thoughtfully"
>isolate your destination folder (or folder window) before you work with
>the source window you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. it's a simple
>procedure, it works and you don't have to try it if you don't want to.
>i think the original "irritation" is somewhat silly in light of this fact.

It's only silly because you don't run into it because you have adopted a
mode of working that doesn't hit the problem.  That's the point I'm trying
to make:  your solution is obtrusive; it requires that I change the way I
do things.  I have my windows positioned and sized in a way that I like,
a way that is convenient for me and the way I work.  I would like to be able
to set them that way ONCE and leave them that way forever.  But occasionally
I hit a situation where I am unable to perform a task (copy or move a file)
because my windows overlap in a way that makes that particular task impossible.
At that point I am forced to either mess up my nicely arranged windows, or
go through some extra and unnecessary steps to accomplish my task.  My point
(I hope for the last time) is that the operating system has gotten in my way;
it has forced me to either change the way I do things, or take more time to
accomplish a task.  I consider this a fault in the operating system.

On the other hand, one of the really wonderful aspects of the Mac is that
it has features that allow you to change what you don't like.  The Rear
Window init recently posted is exactly what I meant when I asked if someone
could write something to get around my irritation.  Many thanks to whoever
wrote it and whoever posted it (sorry, I don't have the names handy; you
know who you are).

--James Preston