[comp.sys.mac] kanjitalk

c60a-6dd@web7c.berkeley.edu (07/16/88)

	I just got a copy of Apple's KanjiTalk and fonts...

shitsumon:

1) is there a new version corresponding with system 6.0?
2) why, even though I have one meg, is the finder almost unusable?
	(are all the fonts loaded all the time, or what?)
3) what word processors (besides Teachtext) are scriptmanager
compatible?

4) Does anyone have a copy of that system switching program? I'd like
to put both systems on my hard disk...

I had heard that there was a new improved KanjiTalk in the works.
True?

thanks. I really need the system switcher...

Rob Pfile

Rob Pfile   //|@ @|\\    Domain:   c60a-6dd@web.berkeley.edu
JAEG-       \ \ ) / /    UUCP:     {ucbvax | lilac}!web.berkeley.edu!c60a-6dd
just another | |0| |     Internet: c60a-6dd%web.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
eecs geek!     \_/       "You never know, you know?"

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (07/19/88)

>	I just got a copy of Apple's KanjiTalk and fonts...
>
>shitsumon:
 ^^^^^^^^^ means "question" in Japanese. No disrespect meant, I'm sure.

Scott "rice-head" Bayes

c60a-6dd@web7c.berkeley.edu (Rob Pfile) (07/21/88)

In article <11010029@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:
>>	I just got a copy of Apple's KanjiTalk and fonts...
>>
>>shitsumon:
> ^^^^^^^^^ means "question" in Japanese. No disrespect meant, I'm sure.
>
>Scott "rice-head" Bayes

	Sorry, I often spit words out without thinking about what
language they are in. It is a defect in software, I assure you.

	By the way, I have had no responses... ANYONE?

	Would it help if I posted this with a world distribution? Do
you think that any Japanese sites receive comp.sys.mac?
Mr. Moderator? Somebody? Thanks.

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/21/88)

c60a-6dd@web7c.berkeley.edu(Rob Pfile) writes in comp.sys.mac

>	I just got a copy of Apple's KanjiTalk and fonts...
>
>shitsumon:
>
>1) is there a new version corresponding with system 6.0?
	Not as of a couple of weeks ago, no!

>2) why, even though I have one meg, is the finder almost unusable?
>	(are all the fonts loaded all the time, or what?)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, YES!  It is almost impossible to
run KanjiTalk on a 1 meg machine. (NOTE: This is why the Kanji Fonts are in ROM
on REAL Kanji Macs)

>3) what word processors (besides Teachtext) are scriptmanager
>compatible?

	The only one that is marketed in the states is sold by Davka Corp of Chicago
and is fairly worthless.  It is very much like MacWrite with a few cutsie
additions.  Not only that, but it is BUGGY!

>4) Does anyone have a copy of that system switching program? I'd like
>to put both systems on my hard disk...

	There are two programs that do this.  System Switcher from Canon, and another
one whose name escapes me.  Use the one that reboots the machine to work. The
other option is to install the Kanji information into your standard system so
that you get the text entry abilities of Kanji with the English menus of the
standard system (and this way you can run 6.0 and Kanji!)

>I had heard that there was a new improved KanjiTalk in the works.
>True?

	In the works!

>thanks. I really need the system switcher...

	You are welcome.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (07/21/88)

>	I just got a copy of Apple's KanjiTalk and fonts...
>
>shitsumon:
>
>1) is there a new version corresponding with system 6.0?

Sorry, Rob, I would have answered, had my info been better or more
current.  I too acquired KT fairly recently, and am annoyed that I have
to use it with an obsolete System, etc.  I don't know if it's being
upgraded.  I think Apple (or APDA) needs to do better than supporting
parallel System software if they want to make Script Manaager
compatibility attractive.  It should be installable on ANY current
enough System.  I hope that 6.0 (or soon upcoming system) will be
"current" for this purpose.

>2) why, even though I have one meg, is the finder almost unusable?
>	(are all the fonts loaded all the time, or what?)

I didn't notice this, running KT system off copies of the APDA disks.
Things seemed fine.  How was the finder "almost unusable"?

>3) what word processors (besides Teachtext) are scriptmanager
>compatible?

WriteNow 1.x can be usable, if you're really careful.  I anxiously await
my requested upgrade to 2.0, in the hope it understands ScriptManager
and is graceful in its Kanji handling.

>4) Does anyone have a copy of that system switching program? I'd like
>to put both systems on my hard disk...

Boku moo!! Moi aussi!! Ich auch!! Me too!!

>I had heard that there was a new improved KanjiTalk in the works.
>True?

Dunno' (shiranai, unbekannt, c'est inconnu)

>thanks. I really need the system switcher...
>
>Rob Pfile

>Rob Pfile   //|@ @|\\    Domain:   c60a-6dd@web.berkeley.edu
>JAEG-       \ \ ) / /    UUCP:     {ucbvax | lilac}!web.berkeley.edu!c60a-6dd
>just another | |0| |    Internet: c60a-6dd%web.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>eecs geek!     \_/       "You never know, you know?"

Scott (bei-zu==kome-atama==rice-head) Bayes

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (07/25/88)

i can't seem to get System Switcher to work with System Version
6.0.  (It worked fine with the previous version.)  It seems to
switch OK, but when the desktop is being built by the switched in
system, I get a system error (Address - 02) and end up haaving to
boot up off a floppy.  I suspect that all this is due to the
changes apple made in the boot blocks for the new system.

Any comments, patches, or a new version of System Switcher?

*   Michael G Newman          |  mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com   *
*   Now or Never              |  MCI: mnewman (333-1196)        *
*   P.O. Box 1510             |  voice: 670-234-7726            *
*   Saipan MP 96950 USA       |  15! 7'N  145! 4'E              *

feldmark@hanako.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (07/27/88)

Sorry for posting this twice.  I messed up the distribution the
first  time.  :-(

You <bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM> (Scott Bayes) say:

> upgraded.  I think Apple (or APDA) needs to do better than supporting
> parallel System software if they want to make Script Manaager
> compatibility attractive.  It should be installable on ANY current
> enough System.  I hope that 6.0 (or soon upcoming system) will be
> "current" for this purpose.

I whole heartedly agree.  I just recently bought a Mac and loved
Multifinder etc.  I am here in Japan, so I have tried running
KanziTalk.  All of a sudden I find that after just learning all the
"features" of 6.0, I have to go to an antiquated version to use
Japanese. (Although from what I've been reading about 6.0 recently,
maybe I'll be glad of this soon :-) I was shocked when I asked friends
here and found out about the poor cooperation between Apple USA and
Apple Japan.

I have been told that Apple Japan will not sell Kanzi Roms for
machines brought to Japan, even if brought by real live Americans like
me.  (As opposed to many Japanese who quite reasonably, in my opinion,
travel to the US and buy Macs there substantially cheaper than they
can buy them here. I guess Apple Japan frowns upon this.  But these
differences in prices between the US and Japan are a whole different
discussion better off in a different group.)  Does anyone know if it
is possible to get KanziTalk/Kanzi roms in the US?

The first comment that comes to mind is "Apple, please get your stuff
together."  This kind of lack of communication and cooperation is
something I would never expect to see in a Japanese company.

Oh.  My original question was going to concern this:

> WriteNow 1.x can be usable, if you're really careful.  I anxiously await

What do you mean by really careful?  I am a novice, but when I tried
WriteNow, I was able to enter Kanzi, but any time I tried to correct a
mistake, I got garbage.  Is there a way around this?

Mark Feldman
Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
feldmark@hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Japan)
feldmark%hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet@uunet.uu.net (USA)

--
feldmark@hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet (Japan)
feldmark%hanako.stars.flab.fujitsu.junet@uunet.uu.net (USA)

feldmark@hanako.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (07/27/88)

Sorry if anyone sees this twice.  I made a mistake with the
distribution and didn't realize it until now. :-(

You <leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> write:
> >	(are all the fonts loaded all the time, or what?)
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, YES!  It is almost impossible to
> run KanjiTalk on a 1 meg machine. (NOTE: This is why the Kanji Fonts
> are in ROM on REAL Kanji Macs)

Does any one know just how space the Kanzi fonts take up in the ROM?
(I am assuming they take up the same amount of RAM if I don't have the ROM.
Is this a good assumption?)

> >3) what word processors (besides Teachtext) are scriptmanager
> >compatible?
> >
> 	The only one that is marketed in the states is sold by Davka
> Corp of Chicago and is fairly worthless.  It is very much like
> MacWrite with a few cutsie additions.  Not only that, but it is BUGGY!

 How about word processors marketed in Japan?

Also, does anyone know if Apple publishes an English version of the Kanzi
Talk manual?  I want to use Japanese on my Mac, but I'm not good
enough to read a manual in Japanese yet. :-(  Anyone done any translations?

> >I had heard that there was a new improved KanjiTalk in the works.
> >True?
> >
> 	In the works!

Any rumors on when it'll be ready or what will be improved?

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (07/28/88)

In a previous article, Rob Pfile said, regarding KanjiTalk:

>I have not investigated this, but one could probably dig

>through IM V and poke around in the Japanese system files to find out

>what extra resources and inits are hanging around, and then stick

>those in your 6.0 system files. Even though the Get Info... windows

>for the finder and system identify them as Japanese system files, one

>should still be able to patch to patch the pertinent stuff due to

>rescources, right? RIGHT? :-) What I am getting at is that there

>probably are no changes to such obscure things as boot blocks or

>something...

I tried this once by extracting all of the relevant resources and
then having Suitcase load them into the System at boot up time.
This worked OK, except for one huge drawback.  For some reason,
anything that required the Geneva font decided to instead scale
some other font.  This took forever and looked horrible.  (The
'About the Finder...' dialog box took about five minutes to draw.
Since I didn't mess with fonts at all, I wonder why this
happened.  (A hint may be that some normal Mac fonts look a
little strange when running under KanjiTalk.

BTW, I only had problems with SystemSwitcher and 6.0 the first
time I switched -- I got the buzzing Mac with the crazy screen.
The next time I tried it, all was OK.  Wonder why?

I agree that Apple has got to do a better job of coordinating
KanjiTalk and other script manager stuff with current system
releases.  When I was in Japan last month I noticed that none of
the shops were even showing KanjiTalk because they wanted to be
able to show off Multifinder instead!

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/28/88)

feldmark@ayumi.UUCP(Mark Fledman) in comp.sys.mac

>Sorry for posting this twice.  I messed up the distribution the
>first  time.  :-(
>
>You <bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM> (Scott Bayes) say:
>
>> upgraded.  I think Apple (or APDA) needs to do better than supporting
>> parallel System software if they want to make Script Manaager
>> compatibility attractive.  It should be installable on ANY current
>> enough System.  I hope that 6.0 (or soon upcoming system) will be
>> "current" for this purpose.
>
>I whole heartedly agree.  I just recently bought a Mac and loved
>Multifinder etc.  I am here in Japan, so I have tried running
>KanziTalk.  All of a sudden I find that after just learning all the
>"features" of 6.0, I have to go to an antiquated version to use
>Japanese. (Although from what I've been reading about 6.0 recently,
>maybe I'll be glad of this soon :-) I was shocked when I asked friends
>here and found out about the poor cooperation between Apple USA and
>Apple Japan.
>
>I have been told that Apple Japan will not sell Kanzi Roms for
>machines brought to Japan, even if brought by real live Americans like
>me.  (As opposed to many Japanese who quite reasonably, in my opinion,
>travel to the US and buy Macs there substantially cheaper than they
>can buy them here. I guess Apple Japan frowns upon this.  But these
>differences in prices between the US and Japan are a whole different
>discussion better off in a different group.)  Does anyone know if it
>is possible to get KanziTalk/Kanzi roms in the US?

	Not only is it impossible to get the ROMS here in the US, but it is VERY
DIFFICULT just to get the System Software (Kanji system)!

>The first comment that comes to mind is "Apple, please get your stuff
>together."  This kind of lack of communication and cooperation is
>something I would never expect to see in a Japanese company.
>
>Oh.  My original question was going to concern this:
>
>> WriteNow 1.x can be usable, if you're really careful.  I anxiously await
>
>What do you mean by really careful?  I am a novice, but when I tried
>WriteNow, I was able to enter Kanzi, but any time I tried to correct a
>mistake, I got garbage.  Is there a way around this?

	That's part of what he meant when he said, BE CAREFUL!  Due to the fact
that WriteNow does not recognize the existance of the Script Manager, it will
not work properly (as you ahve discovered) with any of the foreign systems
(incl. Kanji).  Entering of text will work, but don't even consider trying to
edit it later on.  This is true of ANY program which does not support the
Script Manager. The system can fool some of the programs some of the time, but
not all...

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +

james@jhunix (James Chang) (10/25/89)

Does anyone know of an ftp site that has kanjitalk?

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU