[comp.sys.mac] Video in Multimedia - Info request

a300@mindlink.UUCP (Mark Gray) (10/22/89)

I am looking for a video board which will import live video from a laser disk
or other video source into a window on the Mac II.  The purpose is to
incorporate video clips into interactive multimedia presentations.

A dealer suggested the Color Space II video board from Mass Microsystems.  This
board allows the importation of live video and synchronizes Mac graphics with
the video signal.  Graphics can be overlaid on the video signal and the result
displayed on an appropriate multisync monitor.  Although this board has some
very sophisticated functions, its principal drawback as far as I am concerned
is that it does not permit the video image to be displayed in a window -- the
video image takes up the entire screen and any graphics are overlaid.

I saw an advertisement for the Personal Vision board from Orange Micro which
apparently allows the video image to be displayed in a window with the graphics
alongside.  This board may accomplish my purpose.

If you have any insight into or information on these boards, or just as
important, if you can suggest any alternative product, I'd very much appreciate
hearing from you.  You can reply directly to me
and I'll then summarize the results to the network.

       Thanks in advace,
--
Mark Gray
Vancouver BC  Canada

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (10/25/89)

[ please post followups to comp.sys.mac.hardware ]

In article <614@mindlink.UUCP> you write:
>I am looking for a video board which will import live video from a laser disk
>or other video source into a window on the Mac II.  The purpose is to
>incorporate video clips into interactive multimedia presentations.

I asked a similar question recently and got some references from USENET people.
While I was just looking to capture a single video frame into a PICT file, some
of the systems referenced are able to do both.  I haven't yet purchased a system
so I can't give firsthand experience but these references may help you also.

Here's a summary of the responses I received.
--GaryM

From: captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivanski)
> I work on a multimedia development project, and one of the pieces of
> equipment we use is a NTSC capture/RGB video board made by TrueVision, Inc.
> While this board has other features that we use (live video overlay and what
> not), it can certainly do true video capture in any screen depth up to
> 24-bit.  This should give you enough manipulation leeway with the programs
> you mention.  The software also permits saving in PICT format, TIFF (for
> DigDkrm and others) or TrueVision's proprietary TGA (Targa) format,
> compatible with the one for its PC boards.  The NuVista is one of the
> costlier capture boards, but it performs flawlessly.  Since cost is always a
> concern, however, keep in mind there are similar boards out there which
> perform video capture as well, I just haven't had any hands-on experience
> with them.  Some of ther other ones are:
>
> 	Mass Micro's ColorSpace II board
> 	Orange Micro's MacVision (I think)
> (and a number of others which I can't remember now).
>
> For more info, check recent (Summer) issues of MacUser and MacWorld,
> which focused on "Desktop Video."
>
> -Ivanski
> Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

[I have May-Oct MacUser (except July) and didn't see anything, so it must be
in July.  If someone can confirm that (email please), I'll order a back
issue. --GaryM]

From: Jeffrey Joseph Barbose <jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu>

From: Michael J Kobb <mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu>

From: Adrian  Hill <woz@torch.co.uk>

--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA