[comp.sys.mac] Possible

erk@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Erik A Hanson) (10/23/89)

  Many people have been complaining about copying files from the finder
because, in selecting a file to copy, the destination folder is often
hidden.

  Would it be a problem for Apple to allow you to select the file(s) you
want to copy, choose "Copy" (or "Cut") from the menu, go to the destination
folder, and "Paste"?  Seems logical enough to me.

                             - Erk ( erk@vax1.acs.udel.edu )

wasilko@netcom.UUCP (Jeff Wasilko) (10/23/89)

In article <4729@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> erk@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Erik A Hanson) writes:

>  Many people have been complaining about copying files from the finder
>because, in selecting a file to copy, the destination folder is often
>hidden.
>
>  Would it be a problem for Apple to allow you to select the file(s) you
>want to copy, choose "Copy" (or "Cut") from the menu, go to the destination
>folder, and "Paste"?  Seems logical enough to me.
>
>                             - Erk ( erk@vax1.acs.udel.edu )

I seem to remember that a Xerox icon-based system I worked with used this
method to copy files.

The way you printed documents was to drag them to a printer icon on the
desktop. This sounds alot like the system 7.0 print method.

a_dent@vaxa.uwa.oz (Andy Dent, ph: 09 380 2620) (10/23/89)

In article <4729@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, erk@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Erik A Hanson) writes:
>   Many people have been complaining about copying files from the finder
> because, in selecting a file to copy, the destination folder is often
> hidden.
>
>   Would it be a problem for Apple to allow you to select the file(s) you
> want to copy, choose "Copy" (or "Cut") from the menu, go to the destination
> folder, and "Paste"?  Seems logical enough to me.

Indeed.  In fact, this is very nearly what DiskTop does.  It has a bunch of
buttons (Copy, Delete, Rename, Move) and you select your file(s) then press
a button for the operation.  Simple and elegant and totally intuitive to
use.

edgar@gem.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (10/23/89)

In article <4729@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> erk@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Erik A Hanson) writes:

>  Would it be a problem for Apple to allow you to select the file(s) you
>want to copy, choose "Copy" (or "Cut") from the menu, go to the destination
>folder, and "Paste"?  Seems logical enough to me.

What if the user pastes into the scrapbook?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/25/89)

As quoted from <222@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu> by edgar@gem.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar):
+---------------
| In article <4729@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> erk@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Erik A Hanson) writes:
| >  Would it be a problem for Apple to allow you to select the file(s) you
| >want to copy, choose "Copy" (or "Cut") from the menu, go to the destination
| >folder, and "Paste"?  Seems logical enough to me.
|
| What if the user pastes into the scrapbook?
+---------------

Paste a list of filenames.  Under System 7.0, this could be very useful if the
Scrapbook is changed into a regular application which can then do useful
things that (I would assume) are a bit harder in DAs like launching other
applications.

This could also be used in place of or in addition to the techniques used by
RR 10.3 and by Zterm to construct batches of files for Y/Zmodem transfers.

Moreover, using the Scrapbook would help alleviate copying/moving from
multiple folders: select files from one folder, Copy, Paste to Scrapbook,
select from next folder, Copy, Paste... then select the destination and
Cut/Paste from the Scrapbook into the destination.  Or Copy/Paste to copy to
multiple folders.  Think about it.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG