[comp.sys.mac] Have Apple & Quantum got their act together?

mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) (10/23/89)

I have read all the horror stories about the problems with Quantum drives.
Is this limited to a particular batch of drives and corrected (finally)
in machines being manufactured now?  People don't seem happy with the
Quantum ROM fix from the standpoint of both noise and performance.

Is this what I have to look forward to if I buy a machine with a hard
disk in it from Apple?
  Marsh Gosnell  mkg@lzsc.att.com

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (10/25/89)

In article <1179@lzsc.ATT.COM>, mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) writes:
> I have read all the horror stories about the problems with Quantum drives.
> Is this limited to a particular batch of drives and corrected (finally)
> in machines being manufactured now?  People don't seem happy with the
> Quantum ROM fix from the standpoint of both noise and performance.
>
> Is this what I have to look forward to if I buy a machine with a hard
> disk in it from Apple?
>   Marsh Gosnell  mkg@lzsc.att.com

	The Quantum 80 meg drive  in my IIcx started failing 2 weeks
ago, so I brought it in to an Apple dealer and had the new Quantum
ROM put in.
	My QUantum drive now makes noises that sound like the head is
being painfully excercised back and forth about half the time. The
performance as far as access time is severely degraded when this is
going on.
	I now have a Apple IIcx with a hard drive that is slow and
noisy.

	SOME FIX!!!

	Peter Espen
	espen@well