[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 problem

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (08/23/89)

I have a strange problem with Word 4.0. It works okay until I started to
paste many pictures (PICT from SuperPaint 2.0, Formulator 1.1, and
Cricket Graph 1.3. I haven't tried from other applications than the
listed, but I assume same results will arise).  While the screen does
not show any anomaly, the printed version (Apple's Laserwriter II)
shows lots of quirks. For example, all the line width become extremely
irregular: some hairline became whopping 6 pt line, some 1 pt line
became 2 pt, etc. The placement of each object in the PICT seems to
work differently.  Generally, it seems to me that Word prints texts
inside PICT properly while it chokes on lines.

Moreover, it also screws up the line width of table cell borders! I
always have hairline (or at least, very fine line) border around each
cell of table. However, when I print them, some of them (about 50%)
change into thicker lines!

*** Flame on

Assuming that it is Microsoft's bug (as some of us tend to do), I am
little upset about this. I may be little more tolerant on bad handling
of pictures, but shouldn't the cell border be handled more carefully?

*** Flame off

Have any of you experienced this problem? If so, is there any
workaround?

System: 6.0.3, multifinder, a few inits (Suitcase II, moire,
Appleshare). Background printing on.

Chang Woo
----
Chang P. Woo             Chang.P.Woo@dartmouth.EDU (preferred)
                         changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
                         HB 2932, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755

francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) (10/20/89)

When I load a document, written on my Mac IIcx, with Word 4.0 onto a mac
plus, the page length increases. This is driving me crazy. The margins
are exactly the same according to the header.

Can anyone explain this?

--
francis@pawl.rpi.edu - Francis Schima

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct20.041826.8498@rpi.edu> francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) writes:

>When I load a document, written on my Mac IIcx, with Word 4.0 onto a mac
>plus, the page length increases. This is driving me crazy. The margins
>are exactly the same according to the header.
>Can anyone explain this?

Chances are that the cx has one printer driver installed and the other
Mac Plus has another printer driver installed, perhaps LaserWriter in
one and ImageWriter on the other.? Only thing I can think of...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) (10/25/89)

Something like this happened to a friend, and it turned out that she had
"A4" paper selected in the page setup dialog.
--

                                               - Scott