[comp.sys.mac] Drawing line to top edge of page with Word

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (10/21/89)

I'm creating a letterhead for our Microsoft Word 4.0 users; it will be
printed on their LaserWriters.  As part of the letterhead, I want to
create a vertical line starting about 2 inches from the top of the
page, running right to the top edge.  Since I'm creating some other
PostScript code for the letterhead, I thought coding this in PostScript
would be the easiest way.

However, I run into the clipping boundary that I guess is being
enforced by the 6.0 Laser Prep file.  The vertical line is cut off
about 1/3 inch from the edge of the page.  Does anyone have any ideas
how I can extend the clipping boundary to the top edge of the page to
get around this?  Thanks for any suggestions!

-Goz Lyv (goz@vm.ucsf.edu)

goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) (10/21/89)

In my previous posting, "right to the top edge" should have read "all
the way to the top edge".  Sorry for any confusion. -Goz

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (10/22/89)

In article <2514@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, goz@cca.ucsf.edu (Goz Lyv) says:

>I'm creating a letterhead for our Microsoft Word 4.0 users; it will be
>printed on their LaserWriters.  As part of the letterhead, I want to
>create a vertical line starting about 2 inches from the top of the
>page, running right to the top edge.  Since I'm creating some other
>PostScript code for the letterhead, I thought coding this in PostScript
>would be the easiest way.
>
>However, I run into the clipping boundary that I guess is being
>enforced by the 6.0 Laser Prep file.  The vertical line is cut off
>about 1/3 inch from the edge of the page.  Does anyone have any ideas
>how I can extend the clipping boundary to the top edge of the page to
>get around this?  Thanks for any suggestions!
>
>-Goz Lyv (goz@vm.ucsf.edu)

The top margin on the LaserWriter is a *hardware* margin; the printer simply
cannot print within about 1/3 inch of the edges of the page (all of them, I
believer).

-------
Christopher Tate      ||      "I hate quotations!" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/24/89)

Don't hold your breath -- laser printers usually have *hardware* clipping
regions.  The printer simply doesn't have a means to get all the way to
the edge of the page.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/24/89)

In article <2514@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> goz@vm.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Goz Lyv) writes:

<However, I run into the clipping boundary that I guess is being
<enforced by the 6.0 Laser Prep file.  The vertical line is cut off
<about 1/3 inch from the edge of the page.  Does anyone have any ideas
<how I can extend the clipping boundary to the top edge of the page to
<get around this?  Thanks for any suggestions!

We're getting closer to the edge of the 11-inch side by checking "Larger
Print Area" in the Options button of Page Setup.

Shirley Kehr

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) (10/25/89)

You can extend the line a bit by checking "larger print area" in the
page setup options dialog.
--

                                               - Scott