[comp.sys.mac] BUilding a Hard Drive

dansnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Daniel A. Church) (10/24/89)

I have recently put together my own hard drive using a Seagate ST277N HD,
Generic Brand HD case (room for two HD's with power supply and fan), and
homemade cable.  What I want to do is put the HD into a smaller, nicer case
such as the Tulin Case that everyone seems to be raving about.  Does the Tulin
case come with a cable? (The cable I made for my system converts the 50-pin
hard drive cable to the necessary 25-pin cable, although my soldering isn't
always the best)  Could someone please leave me the address and phone number
of Tulin, Inc.?  Also, if Tulin doesn't supply a cable, could someone
let me know if a place that sells SCSI HD cables for decent prices?
            ^^
            of

Thanks in advance,

Dan Church
dansnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (10/24/89)

Can anyone post details of the cable that connects a normal 50 way IDC
SCSI port like on the Quantum drive to the D connector on the back of
a Mac SE?

Thanks!

Tim
--
tjfs@tadtec.uucp   ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Titan House, Castle Park, CAMBRIDGE, CB3 0AY, UK

CHEE77@elroy.uh.edu (Fred Schulz) (10/25/89)

In article <TJFS.89Oct24130840@tadtec.uucp>, tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) writes:
> Can anyone post details of the cable that connects a normal 50 way IDC
> SCSI port like on the Quantum drive to the D connector on the back of
> a Mac SE?

50 pin	25 pin	signal
------	------	------

2	8	db0
4	21	db1
6	22	db2
8	10	db3
10	23	db4
12	11	db5
14	12	db6
16	13	db7
18	20	dbp (parity)
20		n/c
22		"
24		"
26	25	trmpwr
28		n/c
30		"
32	17	atn
34		n/c
36	6	bsy
38	5	ack
40	4	rst
42	2	msg
44	19	sel
46	15	c/d
48	1	req
50	3	i/o
1-49odd	7,9,14,16,18,24	gnd - connect each of the 6 pins on db25 to any
exc. 25			odd pins on the 50 pin connector except pin 25
			(so if the connector gets flipped you dont ground
			the +5V)

Easiest solution: use ribbon cable from 50 pin on drive to 50 pin centronics
Then buy ready-made 50pin centronics to db25 cable.

carlp@frigg.iscs.com (Carl Paukstis) (10/26/89)

In article <3379@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dansnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Daniel A. Church) writes:
>What I want to do is put the HD into a smaller, nicer case
>such as the Tulin Case that everyone seems to be raving about.  Does the Tulin
>case come with a cable? [...]
>Also, if Tulin doesn't supply a cable, could someone
>let me know of a place that sells SCSI HD cables for decent prices?

Tulin DID sell the external cable (optional/extra cost).  See my recent
article:
   Subject: Tulin boxes (was Re: Int to Ext SCSI drive?)

Which says (in part) that TULIN IS NO MORE.  I'm hoping somebody will
tell me that's a bad dream, but so our Purchasing department says.

Meanwhile, I repeat, is there another source for a comparable box?
--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"      |  DOMAIN:  carlp@frigg.ISC-BR.COM
   NOTE domain change!                 |  UUCP:    ...!uunet!isc-br!frigg!carlp