[comp.sys.mac] Self-mutilating keyboard map

dgraham@kean.mun.ca (David Graham) (10/26/89)

In article <1081@diemen.cc.utas.oz>, ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz
(Ben Lian) writes:
> It has just happened again! My schizophrenic keyboard map has just flipped
> from 'International' to 'Domestic', but the keyboard CDEV still shows it
> set at 'International'. As a result, some keys (e.g., the key pad, 'b', 'n',
> spacebar, and a bunch of others down around the bottom row) take on whole
> new personas. This happens infrequently and does not seem to follow any
>particular pattern (maybe only when the moon is full, or perhaps at
times

Something similar has been happening to me occasionally since I bought
my Plus about three years ago--every so often my French-Canadian
keyboard disappears and is replaced in Key Caps by a bizarre layout
with no keypad and with any number of keys rearranged (the most
annoying is that usually the 'Return' key is replaced by the 'grave
accent' key which is normally located just to the left of it).  I used
to shut down and reboot, which would cure the problem until the next
time, but now I just unplug the keyboard from the Mac, wait a few
secs, and plug it in again.  Works like a charm (of course I guess you
wouldn't want to try that if you had an ADB connection).  Anyone know
what might cause this?

> Ben Lian
>
> Dept of EE & CS, Uni of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
> UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc,mcvax,hplabs,nttlab}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben
> ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz  Ph: 002-202380  Fax: 002-202713

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca
   Department of French & Spanish		{...}munucs!dgraham
   Memorial University of Newfoundland		(709)737-7636/7 (Voice)
   St John's, NF				(709)737-4000	(Fax)
   CANADA A1B 3X9