[comp.sys.mac] Tulin boxes

carlp@frigg.iscs.com (Carl Paukstis) (10/25/89)

In article <"891020081940.75046.606.CHD38-2"@CompuServe.COM> 75046.606@CompuServe.COM (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>Does anyone have any ideas what is involved in putting an internal Mac
>drive into an external case ?  Tulin has cases for SCSI drives - is
>it that simple - or is it a mess?

The drive mechanism should be the same, regardless.  With an "internal"
drive, you probably get appropriate brackets and maybe cables.  I've
never put an "internal" drive into a Mac, but I assume they followed the
3.5" form-factor standards for mounting screw holes, etc. so you should
be OK mounting an Mac "internal" drive into an enclosure designed for a
generic 3.5" SCSI drive.   Additionally, you probably get appropriate
formatter and drivers with the internal drive kit.

The Tulin cases work just fine; it's no hassle to put the drives in and
hook everything up.  I've had problems getting suitable formatting
software for the drives we have (Rodime 40's), but one of the hardware
/firmware types around here came up with something.  The front-panel
power switch mechanism on the Tulin box leaves something to be desired,
but we've experienced NO real problems of any kind.  Keep in mind that
I'm basically a software type who's not afraid of screwdrivers; the REAL
hardware gurus probably have some criticism of power supply design or
mechanical fit/finish or something.

Now the BAD NEWS.  Tulin is bankrupt and out of business.  We have
several of their enclosures around here; we recently tried to order
another one and Purchasing got told that Tulin was no more.  If you go
this route and find a source for the box, would you please tell me?

QUESTION FOR THE NET:
Since Tulin is gone, where do we get something comparable to their
A-hive enclosure?  This is basically a metal box of size appropraite to
hold two "half-height" SCSI disk drives, a built-in power supply to feed
them, and some cabling to go from the 50-pin flat SCSI connector to the
Centronics-style connector that Apple seems to want to use on external
drive enclosures.  (Tulin also sold the Centronics-to-DB15(?) cable
which went between the enclosure and the Mac, but so does the local Mac
store).

E-mail replies accepted, but I DO read this group and the subject MAY be
of general interest.

--
Carl Paukstis       "I'm the NRA"      |  DOMAIN:  carlp@frigg.ISC-BR.COM
   NOTE domain change!                 |  UUCP:    ...!uunet!isc-br!frigg!carlp

aras@ecerl2.ncsu.edu (10/26/89)

You can get external SCSI drive enclosures from Westcom Computer in
Ayden,NC. They are advertised in the back of Mac World, in the Catalog
section. Their latest price for a 3.5" SCSI enclosure with fan and power
supply was about $125. Internal kits are about $17. The kits include
formatting software.

Caglan M. Aras             | cma@csl.ncsu.edu    |  Opinions: Do they
N.C State Univ.            | aras@eceris.ncsu.edu|  count anyway?
ECE Dept. Robotics Lab     |                     |