[comp.sys.mac] Self-mutilating keyboard map---what's going on?

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (10/25/89)

It has just happened again! My schizophrenic keyboard map has just flipped
from 'International' to 'Domestic', but the keyboard CDEV still shows it
set at 'International'. As a result, some keys (e.g., the key pad, 'b', 'n',
spacebar, and a bunch of others down around the bottom row) take on whole
new personas. This happens infrequently and does not seem to follow any
particular pattern (maybe only when the moon is full, or perhaps at times
of intense solar activity?). In the past year, I've been hit about 10 times.
It does not seem to be fatal---reinstallation of the system from floppy
cures the problem. Until the next time.

Can anybody suggest what might be happening? Has anyone experienced this
before? I am running under 6.0.2 on a Mac Plus. INITS = standard Apple +
init 2.0 + hierDA 0.9984 + Disktop 3.0.4 + SFScrollInit + SUM Shield II +
SuperClock 3.5. CDEVS = standard Apple + matching ones for the INITs just
listed.

Ben Lian

Dept of EE & CS, Uni of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc,mcvax,hplabs,nttlab}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben
ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz  Ph: 002-202380  Fax: 002-202713

jrk@sys.uea.ac.uk (Richard Kennaway) (10/25/89)

In article <1081@diemen.cc.utas.oz> ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) writes:

>It has just happened again! My schizophrenic keyboard map has just flipped
>from 'International' to 'Domestic', but the keyboard CDEV still shows it
>set at 'International'. As a result, some keys (e.g., the key pad, 'b', 'n',
>spacebar, and a bunch of others down around the bottom row) take on whole
>new personas. This happens infrequently and does not seem to follow any
>particular pattern (maybe only when the moon is full, or perhaps at times
>of intense solar activity?). In the past year, I've been hit about 10 times.
>It does not seem to be fatal---reinstallation of the system from floppy
>cures the problem. Until the next time.

>Can anybody suggest what might be happening? Has anyone experienced this
>before? I am running under 6.0.2 on a Mac Plus. INITS = standard Apple +
>init 2.0 + hierDA 0.9984 + Disktop 3.0.4 + SFScrollInit + SUM Shield II +
>SuperClock 3.5. CDEVS = standard Apple + matching ones for the INITs just
>listed.

"No" to the first question, but "yes" to the second.  This has happened
to me as well, ever since I've had a Mac+, with every system from 4.3
(or maybe even 3.2) to 6.0.3.  Every now and then, when I turn it on, it
comes up with what looks like the keyboard map for the old keyboard (the
one with no keypad): each letter key on the bottom row behaves like the
key to its left (I cant remember what 'z' becomes), return becomes
backquote, etc.  Rebooting cures the problem.  I have a bunch of INITs
as well, but their intersection with yours is just the standard Apple
INITs.

I havent seen it happen on a MacII though, so there's one possible fix :-).

--
Richard Kennaway          SYS, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
Janet:  kennaway@sys.uea.ac.uk		uucp:  ...mcvax!ukc!uea-sys!jrk

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (10/26/89)

In article <1081@diemen.cc.utas.oz> Ben Lian writes:
>It has just happened again! My schizophrenic keyboard map has just flipped
>from 'International' to 'Domestic', but the keyboard CDEV still shows it
>set at 'International'.

I've had this happen a few times in the last year.  No idea what the
cause is, but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in what else might
be changing behind my back.

Anybody got a clue as to what the cause is?

Oh yes, running system 6.0.2, the usual inits (moire, vaccine, suitcase,
and superspool), nothing fancy, on a Mac Plus.

Hal Perkins              hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/26/89)

In article <33543@cornell.UUCP> hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) writes:

   In article <1081@diemen.cc.utas.oz> Ben Lian writes:
   >It has just happened again! My schizophrenic keyboard map has just flipped
   >from 'International' to 'Domestic', but the keyboard CDEV still shows it
   >set at 'International'.

   I've had this happen a few times in the last year.  No idea what the
   cause is, but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in what else might
   be changing behind my back.

   Anybody got a clue as to what the cause is?

NCSA TelNet has the annoying habit of installing its own keyboard
map when it starts up.  This map is a slightly modified US map.
My fix was to patch my copy of TelNet with my desired (dvorak)
key map.

 -andrew