[comp.sys.mac] UW problem

hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (10/19/89)

Every time I try to use talk when under uw, I get "No entry in /etc/utmp".
When someone tries to talk to me, they are told that my messages are turned
off (which they aren't). Evidentally, UW is not properly entering the
pseudo-ttys into /etc/utmp. I've remade UW twice following the instructions in
the Makefile that apply to the /etc/utmp issue. No luck. /ets/utmp is world
read/writable at our installation.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know how to fix this
problem? We're running SunOS 4.0.3.
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Louis Englander) (10/25/89)

In article <818@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) writes:
>Every time I try to use talk when under uw, I get "No entry in /etc/utmp".
>When someone tries to talk to me, they are told that my messages are turned
>off (which they aren't). Evidentally, UW is not properly entering the

What you need to do is:

uwtool talk <userid>

This will open a separate window (_without_ its own csh) for talk, which
will close upon termination of the process.
--

                                               - Scott

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (10/26/89)

In article <11071@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) writes:
>In article <818@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP> hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.ca.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) writes:
>What you need to do is:
>
>uwtool talk <userid>
>
>This will open a separate window (_without_ its own csh) for talk, which
>will close upon termination of the process.

That's all very well, but my problem is different.  When I try to use
talk under uw, it says "You don't exist.  Go away."  It does this even if
I do "uwtool talk <userid>"; it simply puts up a window for a fraction of
a second with this message in it, and then the window disappears again.
Any clues on _this_ one?

>                                               - Scott

Thanks for any assistance!

Rob Jellinghaus                | "Next time you see a lie being spread or a
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |  bad decision being made out of sheer ignor-
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |  ance, pause, and think of hypertext."
{everyone}!decvax!yale!robertj |     -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_