[comp.sys.mac] Has anyone ever used Grappler LQ?

dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) (10/18/89)

Has anyone used Grappler LQ to print on the third party printers such as
Panasonic 1124?

I am trying to get a printer for my Mac Plus. For the price of an ImageWriter,
I can get a Grappler LQ and a Panasonic 1124 printer which is 24 pin. But my
question is how is the quality of the printout using Grappler LQ.

If you have used one, please comment.

jg13@umd5.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (10/19/89)

In article <1061@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:
>I am trying to get a printer for my Mac Plus. For the price of an ImageWriter,
>I can get a Grappler LQ and a Panasonic 1124 printer which is 24 pin. But my
>question is how is the quality of the printout using Grappler LQ.

Well, I've had success using my NEC Pinwriter p6 (24 pin) printer with my
Mac II through the Grappler LQ.  It works quite well, especially with their
included fonts, but I'm sure that ATM will make it shine with any font,
any size (right?).  Graphics also look very good.  You might want to check
to see that the Panasonic 1124 is supported before you get one.  I don't
have the manuals with me right now...

                              - -= Allon =- -

   This is a test of the emergency signature system.  Were this an actual
   signature, you would see amusing mottos, disclaimers, a zillion net
   addresses, or edifying philisophical statements.  This is only a test.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/20/89)

As quoted from <1061@rodan.acs.syr.edu> by dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee):
+---------------
| Has anyone used Grappler LQ to print on the third party printers such as
| Panasonic 1124?
+---------------

I use one with my Okidata 390 (Epson LQ clone).  It's okay, but has three major
drawbacks:

(1) Speed; translating IW-LQ graphics to other printers' graphics is SLOW.
(2) Memory; the IW-LQ driver plus the Grappler LQ INIT takes up 350-400K.
    Get another meg of memory, especially if you want to use MultiFinder with
    it.
(3) Fonts; you might want to invest in ATM, since the typefaces that come
    with it (Dutch, Swiss, and SWA Courier Bitstream fonts) in various sizes
    won't help you deal with something that wants to print Monaco 9pt or
    Geneva 14pt.

Me, I'm still looking for a native driver and will probably be forced to
invest in ATM despite my qualms (e.g. the Plus Pack ought to come with the
bloody d*mned thing!).

++Brandon

--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu bsa@telotech.uucp

earhard@ug.cs.dal.ca (Mark Earhard) (10/23/89)

In article <1061@rodan.acs.syr.edu> dblee@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dan Lee) writes:

>I am trying to get a printer for my Mac Plus. For the price of an ImageWriter,
>I can get a Grappler LQ and a Panasonic 1124 printer which is 24 pin. But my
>question is how is the quality of the printout using Grappler LQ.

I haven't used one, though I know pople that have and are pleased with them.
I am, however, experimenting with an Epson lq-510 with a special board
(prob about $100 that lets you use the epson "Like" ain immagewriter.

I am very pleased with the print that comes from this, however I haven't
really put it through the paces yet.  The printer/w card will run
about as much as an immagewriter, but I'm trying to sell my immagewriter
already...

By the way- you have to use thier dialog boxes, which I don't like
nearly as much.  I still have work to do-  any one else used this?

Mark Earhard-  Purchase Consultant, Personal Computer Purchase Center
	       Dalhousie University

--
-
Mark Earhard:  earhard@dalcsug.UUCP 0123@dalac.BITNET me@dalac.BITNET

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/25/89)

1.  I don't understand how the the 180dpi printers get good output
when the imagewriter LQ prints at 216dpi.  Is everything magnified by
7/6 on these 180dpi printers?

2.  I am very interested in using an ORIGINAL Toshiba P321 printer
(not 321SL) with an SE/030.  Toshiba supposedly sells a driver kit,
but it says it's for use with the SL printers.  Has anyone used the
Toshiba drivers, and if so, used them with a non-SL printer?  What's
the difference between a P321 and a P321SL?

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

parent@apple.com (Sean Parent) (10/26/89)

In article <126900081@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> 1.  I don't understand how the the 180dpi printers get good output
> when the imagewriter LQ prints at 216dpi.  Is everything magnified by
> 7/6 on these 180dpi printers?
>
> 2.  I am very interested in using an ORIGINAL Toshiba P321 printer
> (not 321SL) with an SE/030.  Toshiba supposedly sells a driver kit,
> but it says it's for use with the SL printers.  Has anyone used the
> Toshiba drivers, and if so, used them with a non-SL printer?  What's
> the difference between a P321 and a P321SL?

The Grappler LQ/LS/LX tricks the ImageWriter LQ driver into imaging at the
desired resolution. Everything prints at the proper size without abnormal
scalling effects.

I am not familiar with the P321SL. I have used the P321 with the Grappler
and it works very well although the P321 is very slow printing 180 dpi
graphics because after printing a couple of lines the print head slows
down to avoid overheating.

Sean Parent
"Quality unattainable in a reasonable amount of time."