[comp.sys.mac] Sony vs. Quantum drives in SE/30

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) (10/24/89)

  Using the neat little SCSI probe CDEV, I discovered that I have a
Sony HD40 in my SE/30.  Since Quantums are having all these problems, does
this mean that I am lucky, or are the Quantum drives theoretically superior
to the Sonys?
DISCLAIMER:  Any opinions expressed are not those of my employer, even at such
             time they may be that of my employer. Nor are they my own.
UUCP/Internet/ARPA/(anything)  James.Osborne@mac.Dartmouth.edu

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/25/89)

James, my February 1989 vintage SE/30 also has a Sony, showing SRD2040A,
version 2.60 via SCSI Probe 2.01.  Have had absolutely NO problems with it,
nor with my 2 1/2 year old Mirror Technologies 40/40.
  Somehow, whether the Sony is better or NOT, I'd say it's been a far better
DEAL than the Quantums...

   Paul
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (10/25/89)

In article <16312@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> xerox@mac.dartmouth.edu (James Osborne) writes:

>  Using the neat little SCSI probe CDEV, I discovered that I have a
>Sony HD40 in my SE/30.  Since Quantums are having all these problems, does
>this mean that I am lucky, or are the Quantum drives theoretically superior
>to the Sonys?

The Quantum is noticably faster.
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

ieee@smu.uucp (IEEE group account) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct24.202315.29570@hellgate.utah.edu> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>>this mean that I am lucky, or are the Quantum drives theoretically superior
>>to the Sonys?
>
>The Quantum is noticably faster.

...when they're not stuck :)

Fred Hollander

SMU is not responsible for this posting, I am.