[comp.sys.mac] Aldus programs not handling PICTs correctly !

)) (10/26/89)

In article <3586@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) writes:
>TIFF format instead.  A followup call to Aldus produced the information
>that, indeed, Freehand does not do well when it tries to read a large
>bitmap in PICT format.  Apparently, Freehand has the notion that PICT

Hey, I just got bit by Aldus and PICT (from AppleScan, 300 dpi, A LOT
smaller than TIFF files) line art bitmaps. The problem:

I scan in 300 dpi. I import the picture (half an A4) into PageMaker, on
page 2 of my (25 page) ducument. No problem.

I copy this picture, and paste it onto page 1, and then Shift-resize it
to a smaller size (about 30% of the area, or maybe 40...)

Both pictures look fine on the screen, but the smaller is garbage on the
printer (LaserWriter II NTx, Apple Laser Prep, no I won't change to
Aldus LaserPrep...) The transformation is like this:

Original picture:

1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6

Printed picture:

garbage one scan line
  5   6   1   2   3   4
  5   6   1   2   3   4
  5   6   1   2   3   4
garbage one scan line
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6
1   2   3   4   5   6

I can imagine what's happening, but WHY ? THis really turn me
off, because I NEED to have the pictures inside the PageMaker
document, not as links, and the PICTs take much less disk (also
a requirement)

I thought PageMaker 3.0 was supposed to be proffessional ? Note:
This has happened in three different documents, with three
different pictures ! (The structure of the layout was the same)

>file is opened in Freehand, it appears to be only about 75dpi, or perhaps
>even worse.  Selecting "Best Quality" instead of "Faster" for the

The Screen Display may be crude, but printed it gets better, doesn't it ?

>Anyone else have a similar problem, or better yet, a solution?

Sure, I have. And I'm not in the same country and/or time zone as
Aldus, and the customs service here is completely unaware of what
programs they are selling 8(

h+@nada.kth.se ==  h+@proxxi.se
--
There will be a Door, and the Door will be the Way.