[comp.sys.mac] Finder flushing

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (10/25/89)

The other night, I moved and resized a Finder window.  The next morning,
the power went off for a few minutes, and when I rebooted, the window
was back to its old position.

Was this caused by the Finder buffering up changes?  If so, is there
some way to force the Finder to save changes other than restarting
the system?

If not, was this caused by my RAM cache (I have it set to 256K)?  I
had kind of assumed that the RAM cache was flushed after some amount
of time whether it was full or not (a la 'update' in BSD UNIX and
the buffer cache timed flushing in System V).  Is this not the case?

--
David Elliott
dce@sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct25.052754.11626@sony.com> dce@icky.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
> The other night, I moved and resized a Finder window.  The next morning,
> the power went off for a few minutes, and when I rebooted, the window
> was back to its old position.
> Was this caused by the Finder buffering up changes?  If so, is there
> some way to force the Finder to save changes other than restarting
> the system?

Finder empties the trash and saves its folder/window configuration when
it opens an application, or when your Mac is restarted or shutdown from
the Finder Special menu.  If you use some other launching device (possibly
in conjunction with Finder, like PowerStation) or shutdown thru non-
Finder means (like System Errors); Finder won't do this.

> If not, was this caused by my RAM cache (I have it set to 256K)?  I
> had kind of assumed that the RAM cache was flushed after some amount
> of time whether it was full or not (a la 'update' in BSD UNIX and
> the buffer cache timed flushing in System V).  Is this not the case?

I'm not sure, but I believe this is *not* the case.  I think the cache
buffers all disk i/o, without "write-through" protection or forced
flushing.

--
     _  _|\____    Nick Jackiw | Visual Geometry Project | Math Department