[comp.sys.mac] Is 68020 + 68851 == 68030

mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) (10/23/89)

Is there any difference (other than a wait state) between a 68020 and
the MMU and a 68030?  This question came up at a user group meeting and
I'd like to get the answer.

Thanks.
  Marsh Gosnell  mkg@lzma.att.com

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/24/89)

In article <1178@lzsc.ATT.COM> mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) writes:

   Is there any difference (other than a wait state) between a 68020 and
   the MMU and a 68030?  This question came up at a user group meeting and
   I'd like to get the answer.

The 68030 is missing some of the features of the 68851.  I'm not sure
of the details.  I've never heard anyone complain about these missing
features being essential.

  -andrew

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/25/89)

Re; Mac WareHouse..

oops..not kelly..."Kerry"...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/25/89)

Hmmm, Norm prefers Kerry over Donna.  Perhaps this gives more credence to
the idea that the general public prefers no glasses (Kerry) to glasses
(Donna) on a woman.  Corporations, of course, don't see no glasses (Kerry)
as being smart enough, and hence require glasses (Donna) in their ads.

TASTES GREAT!                                              LESS FILLING!

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/27/89)

in article <1178@lzsc.ATT.COM>, mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) says:

> Is there any difference (other than a wait state) between a 68020 and
> the MMU and a 68030?  This question came up at a user group meeting and
> I'd like to get the answer.

They're practically the same, software-wise.  There are some 68851 instructions
and addressing modes that aren't supported by the 68030 (these can be emulated,
but it's better to use the 68030 subset, and most folks do), and the 68030 has
two transparent translation registers that aren't supported by the 68851.  The
big change in MMUs comes with the 68040....

>   Marsh Gosnell  mkg@lzma.att.com
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough