[comp.sys.mac] SuperSpool

mazur@endor.UUCP (03/31/87)

I am considering buying SuperSpool (IW version) for my Mac SE. Are there
any SuperSpool (or other spooler) users on the net who could comment on
the performance of their spooler?

I am specifically interested in knowing (in arbitrary order):

a) are they crash-resistant?
b) do they work on an SE?
c) do they work with the Keeper as Startup application?
d) is worthwhile to buy such a thing?
e) what kind of problems have you encountered?

Your comments are much appreciated.

Eric Mazur

_A_R_P_A_-_N_E_T:	mazur@harvard.harvard.EDU
_B_I_T_N_E_T:		mazur@harvunxh.bitnet
_U_U_C_P:							 /-----	mazur
					 		/  /---	_d_a_s_y!mazur
{seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!_h_a_r_v_a_r_d! ------
							\  \___	_l_a_s_e_x!mazur
							 \_____	_m_o_l_p_h_y!mazur

lonetto@phri.UUCP (03/31/87)

In article <1533@husc6.UUCP> mazur@endor.UUCP (Eric Mazur) writes:
>I am considering buying SuperSpool (IW version) for my Mac SE. Are there
>any SuperSpool (or other spooler) users on the net who could comment on
>the performance of their spooler?
>
>I am specifically interested in knowing (in arbitrary order):
>
>a) are they crash-resistant?
>b) do they work on an SE?
>c) do they work with the Keeper as Startup application?
>d) is worthwhile to buy such a thing?
>e) what kind of problems have you encountered?
>
>Your comments are much appreciated.
>
>Eric Mazur
Other interesting questions (for use with a plus):

f) Do any of these work with non apple printer drivers (GDT Softworks's
"Brother HR Series" and MSWord 3.0's "Serial Printer" specifically, if
anyone has tried).
g) Related to above:  Do they work with non apple printers, such as the
Brother HR15 XL I'm using (I know, but my wife needs LQ output).

I have a Jasmine 20 meg HD with >10 meg free, so efficient space
utilization for print spooling is not much of a consideration.

BTW:  If anyone in the NYC area knows a good place to buy Brother
printer accessories please drop me a line.  This printer NEEDS a tractor
drive.

Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
USMAIL: Public Health Research Institute, 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016

pgn@osupyr.UUCP (03/31/87)

SuperSpool is fine as long as you do not mix at with Tmon,Tempo and a couple
of other systemheap expanders. I use it on my DataFrames and its the fastest
printspooler East of the Mississipi. Sometimes it doesn't print everything,
sometimes it screws up my SheetFeeder which I installed on my ImageWriter II,
sometimes it slows down the Mac, but I still recommend it. But do not ever
mix it with the unmixable ones, otherwise you're gonna get such fireworks
that you won't believe it.

Paul Nevai

Have Orthogonal Polynomials
Will Travel

Paul Nevai                                pgn%osupyr.uucp (PREFERRED)
Department of Mathematics                 nevai-p@osu-eddie.uucp
The Ohio State University                 ...!ihnp4!cbatt!osupyr!pgn
231 West Eighteenth Avenue                TS1171@OHSTVMA.bitnet
Columbus, OH 43210, U.S.A.	          1-614-292-5688

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/02/87)

I run superspool on a DataFrame 20 system along with MacsBug. SuperSpool
often keeps draft printing from workign at all, and high quality printing
works only as long as the queue of files to print is non-empty. If I let the
queue emtpy, when I next try to print the system tells me that there is
no printer driver. The only fix is to reboot. As things stand, its worth
what I paid for it.  Any suggestions?

--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

graifer@net1.UUCP (04/04/87)

In article <3002@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>I run superspool on a DataFrame 20 system along with MacsBug. SuperSpool
>often keeps draft printing from workign at all, and high quality printing
>works only as long as the queue of files to print is non-empty. If I let the
>queue emtpy, when I next try to print the system tells me that there is
>no printer driver. The only fix is to reboot. As things stand, its worth
>what I paid for it.  Any suggestions?

I frequently work in the mode: type a business letter, dump a "faster" copy for
my hard copy files, and a 'best' copy for the mail.  I had David's problem
with missing driver several times, but hadn't quite figured out the pattern.
I have written to SuperMac, but wasn't able to give them pointer to making
the problem recur reliably.  I will now pass this on to my contact there, so
we should get some help with this.

I haven't had the problem with draft printing.

By the way, my contact at SuperMac says they try to monitor mod.mac, so it
would be useful if these postings get repeated there (hint, hint).  It would
be even nicer if SuperMac let on where on the net they are hiding so users
could engage in a direct dialoge without waiting for USnail (HINT HINT).

--
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU

rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) (01/12/89)

	I recently downloaded a package called SuperSpool 5.0df from a
BITNET listserver.  The file "unstuffed" with no problems, yielding 3 files:
SuperSpool 5.0df, Print Queue 5.0, and a documentation file.

	I followed the instructions in the doc file.  It said that the
SuperSpool file is an Init and should be put in the system folder.  The
Print Queue file is a DA, and I put it in using SuitCase II.  Further
instructions said to remove Print Monitor and Backgrounder from the system
folder, which I did.  All seems to be in line with the documentation, but
it doesn't work.

	First of all, the SuperSpool init doesn't throw up an icon on
startup (maybe it's not supposed to).  Then I get the following message
when I invoke the Print Queue DA:

	Please remove any copies of SuperLaserSpool and make sure
	you have the correct version of SuperSpool in the system
	folder.  Then restart your computer.

	I've done these things, so I click the OKAY button.  At this point,
the Print Queue DA exits.  I've examined the docs and my system repeatedly
and can find nothing that would cause any problems.  Does anyone have any
ideas?

	FYI, I'm running System 6.0.2 on a Mac II with 4Mb of memory.  Thanks
in advance for any help.

--
Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwater@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/12/89)

In article <1569@ucqais.uc.edu> rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu (Donald J. Rainwater) writes:
     | I recently downloaded a package called SuperSpool
     | 5.0df from a BITNET listserver.
       ^^^^^
[Deleted references about it's failure to work]

What you have there is the DataFrame specific software.

SuperMac provide SuperSpool, SuperLaserSpool, DiskFit and other utilities
in two forms.  One commercial package, and the other which tests to see if
your using a DataFrame hard disk (these versions are free to all DF
users).

If you want the "real world" version of SuperSpool (or SuperLaserSpool),
you'll have to fork out some 'ready'.

     | -- Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

WChan@cup.portal.com (Wilson - Chan) (01/14/89)

>BITNET listserver.  The file "unstuffed" with no problems, yielding 3 files:
>SuperSpool 5.0df, Print Queue 5.0, and a documentation file.
>
>	I followed the instructions in the doc file.  It said that the
>SuperSpool file is an Init and should be put in the system folder.  The
>Print Queue file is a DA, and I put it in using SuitCase II.  Further
>instructions said to remove Print Monitor and Backgrounder from the system
>folder, which I did.  All seems to be in line with the documentation, but
>it doesn't work.
>
>   (Stuff deleted)
>
>	FYI, I'm running System 6.0.2 on a Mac II with 4Mb of memory.  Thanks
>in advance for any help.

Well, the problem is that you don't have a SuperMac DataFrame Hard disk, since
all SuperMac programs with suffix "df" are only for DataFrame Hard disk users.

The program from the BITNET listserver works fine, but it only works with a
DF hard disk!!  BTW, I have a DF XP60 (a proud owner).

>--
>Don Rainwater, University of Cincinnati Computer Center
>rainwater@ucbeh.san.uc.edu
>rainwatr@ucqais.uc.edu
>ccondjr@ucccvm1.bitnet

Wilson Chan, Student Consultant             Bitnet:  w0chan01@ulkyvx.bitnet
Health Sciences Computing Center            UUCP:    wchan@cup.portal.com
University of Louisville

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (10/27/89)

Does anybody know if SuperSpool works with a DeskWriter?

I'd really like to know before laying out any money.

Oh yeah . . . just how much money will I have to lay out?

--Brad