[comp.sys.mac] Installer lobotomized in 6.0.4

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (10/19/89)

The new Installer software that comes with System 6.0.4 disks is much
prettier than the old version, and is certainly more intuitive for
the average user.  Unfortunately, Apple has taken away some of the
functionality that existed in the old version, and, IMHO, the changes
are not for the better.

The worst change in my mind is the fact that the Installer will no
longer simply add new system resources to whatever folder on disk is
the Blessed folder (the current system folder).  Instead, it seems to
look for a folder called "System Folder," and if there isn't, it
CREATES one, even if there's a blessed folder with a different name
already present.

This is very bad, for more than one reason.  While a large percentage
of the tech support problems we handle can be blamed on users putting
multiple system folders on their drives by mistake, there ARE valid
reasons for having more than one system folder on your disk and using
something like The Blesser to switch between them.  For the Installer
to ignore users who are taking advantage of such capabilities is not
appropriate.  Also, keep in mind that Inside Macintosh tells programmers
NOT to assume that names of files and folders will stay the same,
because the Mac interface lets users customize their desktop.

Another problem with the new Installer is that it installs all of the
fonts and desk accessories that come with the system update, whether
you want them or not.  I can almost see the program installing any
standard desk accessories that aren't in the pre-existing System, but
it should NOT be installing the full set of Apple fonts and LaserWriter
fonts.  Many users don't need or use all of them, and should be able to
install them as needed, like before.

Also, many users at this point are using software like Suitcase II or
MasterJuggler (or Font/DA Juggler) so that they can keep their fonts and
DA's OUT of the System file and in separate, even multiple, suitcase
files.  The new Installer doesn't STOP users from doing that, but it
certainly makes it a pain: you now have to take all of the excess fonts
and DA's OUT of your System.  Especially when people have placed extra
font sizes of certain fonts in suitcases, which can't be accessed if
there are any sizes of that font in the System, this is a real problem.

My suggestion would be that the Installer install the REQUIRED fonts,
plus newer versions, if available, of any fonts or DA's that are ALREADY
PRESENT in the System being installed into.  The other fonts and DA's
should be left, as before, in suitcase files that can be used, or not,
at the user's discretion.  And, by all means, the program should find
the Blessed folder, OR ask the user to specify a folder to install into
(which would make things easier for users with a legitimate reason for
multiple system folders).

Comments?

--
Mark H. Anbinder        ************************** mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Industries                                 ** (cornell!)biar!memory!mha

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/20/89)

Actually, I hadn't thought of the angles you cover in your previous post
(multiple system folders, fonts and etc).  My first impression, after creating
a startup flopppy on my single drive SE/30, was "Wow!  Only 11 disk swaps.
Much better than the 350+ that it took on a one drive SE under 6.0.3!"
  Kudos to Apple on that one.  I'd be interested to hear the reasons behind
the issues mentioned by Mark though:

it installs all of the fonts and desk accessories that come with the system
update, whether you want them or not

it seems to look for a folder called "System Folder," and if there isn't, it
CREATES one

Also, keep in mind that Inside Macintosh tells programmers NOT to assume that
names of files and folders will stay the same, because the Mac interface lets
users customize their desktop.
<<
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

>Another problem with the new Installer is that it installs all of the
>fonts and desk accessories that come with the system update, whether
>you want them or not.  I can almost see the program installing any
>standard desk accessories that aren't in the pre-existing System, but
>it should NOT be installing the full set of Apple fonts and LaserWriter
>fonts.  Many users don't need or use all of them, and should be able to
>install them as needed, like before.

suitcase files. This is a carry over, not a new feature.

>Also, many users at this point are using software like Suitcase II or
>MasterJuggler (or Font/DA Juggler) so that they can keep their fonts and
>DA's OUT of the System file and in separate, even multiple, suitcase
>files.  The new Installer doesn't STOP users from doing that, but it
>certainly makes it a pain: you now have to take all of the excess fonts
>and DA's OUT of your System.

As far as I can tell, the functionality of the new installer is the same as
far as fonts/DA's are concerned.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

bjones@Apple.COM (Bruce Jones) (10/26/89)

In article <9090@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>The new Installer software that comes with System 6.0.4 disks is much
>prettier than the old version, and is certainly more intuitive for
>the average user.  Unfortunately, Apple has taken away some of the
>functionality that existed in the old version, and, IMHO, the changes
>are not for the better.
>
>The worst change in my mind is the fact that the Installer will no
>longer simply add new system resources to whatever folder on disk is
>the Blessed folder (the current system folder).  Instead, it seems to
>look for a folder called "System Folder," and if there isn't, it
>CREATES one, even if there's a blessed folder with a different name
>already present.

Acckk!  This should not be happening.  Right now I'm running out of a blessed
folder called "System 6.0.4."  I just tried, and successfully updated it
using the new Installer.  Everything seemed to work OK, no new folders were
created.  This sounds very weird.  A lot of engineers here in Mac System
Software have several versions of the system on their disks and use Blesser
to switch between them.  We have not had any problems updating the correct
systems, and naming them whatever we want.

I wrote the code for finding the blessed folder on the chosen target disk.
My strategy is as follows:

	1.  Ask the file system if it knows about a blessed folder on the
	    volume.
	2.  If the file system doesn't know about a blessed folder, see if
	    a root level folder exists with the standard name for a blessed
	    folder.  In the U.S. this is "System Folder" but it is localized
	    internationally as needed.

Knowing this, there are 2 possible things which could be causing you problems.

You could have a bad Installer script.  The released 6.0.4 script has a creation
and mod date of Sep 5, 1989, 12:00 PM and is 38395 bytes long.  If your
script is anything but the above, get the real copy.

Another, more likely problem is that the folders you think are blessed, really
aren't.  The Finder is quite easily confused about which is the real current
blessed folder on a volume.  Just because a folder has the mac ICON on it
doesn't really mean it's blessed.  And vica versa.  The only time that you
can be 100% certain that the real blessed folder is being displayed correctly
by the finder is immediatly after booting.

If you're clean on both of these counts, I'd be interested into looking more
into your problem.  Let me know.

As for your other comments about the Installer, yes I agree they are problems.
But they aren't new problems.  We are installing basically the same stuff that
old Installer did.  But the new Installer's design will let us do much better.
System 7.0 is introducing a lot of changes in the System Folder, and the
Installer will be able to be more intelligent about what it's doing.   I think
you'll like the results.

Thanks for the feedback.
Bruce
Bruce Jones                                                    bjones@apple.com
Software Engineer                                           AppleLink:  JONES12
System Software Group                                              408 974-3454
Apple Computer, Inc
20525 Marianni Avenue  MS 22BB
Cupertino, CA  95014

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (10/26/89)

In article <35918@apple.Apple.COM>, bjones@Apple.COM (Bruce Jones) writes...
}
}As for your other comments about the Installer, yes I agree they are problems.
}But they aren't new problems.  We are installing basically the same stuff that
}old Installer did.  But the new Installer's design will let us do much better.
}System 7.0 is introducing a lot of changes in the System Folder, and the
}Installer will be able to be more intelligent about what it's doing.   I think
}you'll like the results.
}
}Thanks for the feedback.
}Bruce
}--

I found some other really strange problems with the new installer.  On
my home Mac II, it told me all the system files on my HD had newer dates
than the files on the installer disks.  It told this to me one file at a
time, I guess while it was checking....But, it wouldn't install!!

Now, my files probably did have a newer date,as I restored from a Tape backup
with 'Modify Date' inadvertently on.  Apple should not be checking dates, they
should check VERSION STRINGS in the files!  Just because my 6.0.3 system file
has a newer date on it than their 6.0.4 System file doesn't mean I want to
abort installation!

I ended up building a system folder on another HD, then Copied everything
into my Standard system folder (replacing same items) and rebooted.  This
worked fine for me since I do not modify my System file.
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (10/26/89)

In article <35918@apple.Apple.COM> bjones@Apple.COM (Bruce Jones) writes:
>As for your other comments about the Installer, yes I agree they are problems.
>But they aren't new problems.  We are installing basically the same stuff that
>old Installer did.  But the new Installer's design will let us do much better.
>System 7.0 is introducing a lot of changes in the System Folder, and the
>Installer will be able to be more intelligent about what it's doing.   I think
>you'll like the results.
>
>Thanks for the feedback.
>Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, for bringing the Installer up to date.  The new version
is vastly easier and more obvious for the novice; I no longer have to
tell people, "...and then after you install the System, put in the
Printer Tools disk and drag..."; instead, the Installer guides them
through every step.

Also, those of us with only a single floppy appreciate the reduction
in disk swaps when doing an install to floppy: from 50,000 to about
about a dozen.

Now when the Font/DA Mover goes away with System 7, we'll really be in
business...  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/27/89)

Another note on the Installer (more of a nit than a note really):
  When doing the upgrade from 6.0.3 to 6.0.4, you guys really mess up the
System Folder as far as icon locations are concerned!  Being a neat-freak, my
76 item System Folder is all nicely lined up.  After the Installer got done
with it, icons were everywhere; mainly glommed together in the visible scroll
area of the window.  What a mess!  Took 10 minutes to get it all straightened
out.
  Here's another vote for a "locked desktop location" option in the Get Info