[comp.sys.mac] Startup Device cdev

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (10/26/89)

Does anyone know exactly how the 'Startup Device' cdev works?  I've looked
in the System 6 documentation, and it doesn't say very much.  My problem is
this:  The hard disk I designate as the startup device is NOT the device
that boots when the machine is turned on, but it IS the device that boots
when I do a 'Restart'.  I have a MacII with 2 40MB hard disks.  The disk
at SCSI ID 0 is the original Apple Quantum 40.  The disk at SCSI ID 1 is
a Connor CP340 40MB 3.5" disk.  Both disks have System folders with the Mac
icon on them.  (I thought this meant they were blessed, but I'm not sure.)
On both Systems, I have the startup device set to the Conner drive (it's
faster and quieter).  I am currently using System 6.0.3.  What do I need
to do to make the Conner drive boot when the machine is first turned on?
Is it something in the PRAM?  Does the machine always use the drive at ID 0?
Do I have the terminators on the wrong drive?  Is anything I've said even
relevant?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (10/27/89)

You might want to try turning the Connors drive on and letting it warm up fo
r about 30 seconds before you start up your machine. I have the same problem
with my 80 megabyte Quantum Q280 and a Micronet M3180S (a 160 Megger). If I
don't let the external drive warm up a bit, it won't boot from it (in fact,
in some cases, it wn't even mount the drive at all).

Hope this helps,

David --- I would have a fancy .sig here, but I used all my REAL braindead
      --- ideas in the body of the post. Oh well, you'll just have to deal.

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (10/27/89)

In article <5287@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM () writes:

>On both Systems, I have the startup device set to the Conner drive (it's
>faster and quieter).  I am currently using System 6.0.3.  What do I need
>to do to make the Conner drive boot when the machine is first turned on?
>Is it something in the PRAM?  Does the machine always use the drive at ID 0?
>Do I have the terminators on the wrong drive?  Is anything I've said even
>relevant?

I'd suggest you change SCSI device numbers on the drives.
Set the Conner to # 0 and the other to # 1. This is done by
changing jumpers on the drives themselves, or in case the
drives are external, there usually is a thumb-wheel selector.

Caution ! Do NOT set the drives to the same channel ! If you
don't know what you're doing, do it gently...

						h+@nada.kth.se
						== h+@proxxi.se
--
If you don't change your direction, you may end up where you were headed.