[comp.sys.mac] Adobe Screen Fonts

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (08/31/89)

In article <945@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@shoreland.UUCP (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) writes:
>... get the actual Adobe fonts.  The Apple fonts
>differ slightly in spacing and style than the Adobe ones - enough to
>make them print differently.  If you go over to CompuServe in the
>Adobe forum, you can get any screen font you want.  Some of them are
>also on Sumex-Aim, through anonymous FTP.

Are Adobe's screen fonts freely distributed?  I would have expected it
to be tougher to get them than CompuServe or FTP.

I don't have access to CompuServe or FTP (boy, talk about the dark
ages), but the screen font at the dealer's was considerably larger than
mine and it matched the laser output.  So it sounds like the dealer has
Adobe's screen font.  I'll be back there on Saturday to do some more
printing.  Can I legally get copies of the Adobe screen fonts while I'm
there?

--
Geoff Allen - WINCO Computer Process Engineering
{uunet,bigtex}!pmafire!geoff <or> ucdavis!egg-id!pmafire!geoff

Today's notable quote: "Apple also recently announced many features of
         System 7.0, to be released sometime before the world ends."
                   -- James Finn, MacUser, Sept. 1989, p.214

bezanson@adobe.COM (Brian Bezanson) (09/06/89)

In article <735@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>Are Adobe's screen fonts freely distributed?  I would have expected it
>to be tougher to get them than CompuServe or FTP.

Most of the Adobe Bitmaps (Screen Fonts) are available from CompuServe
and Service Bureaus, plus places like some FTP sites, PPA, and the 'Right
Stuffed' CD-ROM - and probably a few others.

Some bitmaps can't be distributed because of the licensing agreements.
Again, screen fonts (most) are freely distributed because you can't do much with
them alone, except set up documents. That's why service bureaus give them away-
knowing that to print the document you'll have to come back to them.

Hope the information helps.

Brian Bezanson
Adobe Systems

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (10/26/89)

After all the recent talk about the benefits of using Adobe screen fonts even
for laser printing on the LaserWriter, I downloaded the Times family from
info-mac. Since Adobe uses the correct definition of the term "font", I now
have the fonts Times Roman, Times Bold, Times Italic, etc. in various sizes. I
seem to remember reading about some way to integrate these fonts into a font
family so that, e.g., rarther than selecting Times Italic from the font menu, I
would only select Times, and setting the style would select the appropriate
font.

Can someone refresh my memory? I think it had to do with NFNT resources.

Thanks.

Rajiv
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (10/28/89)

Many thanks to the people who responded to my recent query for help. I thought
I'd post my appreciation, as well as a summary of the responses.

My problem was converting the various Adobe screen fonts of a particular family
(e.g. Times) into a single NFNT resource, so that applications would see only
Times in their font menu (as opposed to Times Roman, Times Italic, etc.) with
the correct font being automatically chosen by the setting of the Style menu.

From my respondees I gathered there are two ways of doing this:
	1) Use Font Harmony, which comes with the uitility Suitcase II, or
	2) Use N-Font 1.01, which is freeware from Olduvai. N-font can be
	obtained by anonymous ftp from sumex.stanford.edu as
	./info-mac/util/nfont-11.hqx

Once again, thanks very much for the information.

Rajiv Arora