[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite II/Word 4.0

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez) (10/27/89)

Hi, I'm currently using MacWrite II which imports many other formats.
I see Pagemaker 3.02 imports Microsoft Word 4.0 and was wondering when
Claris would jump on the bandwagon and have their MacWrite II import
Word 4.0.  Has anyone heard of this yet?  I recently saw a file on a
network.  The icon had that Claris look (little blue bar in the upper left
corner) and it was named MicrosoftWord 4.0.  When I took an info,
the version # said:  Claris Translator 1.0.  Now, I'm not sure but it
looks like a file that when properly installed, like the installer,
will allow MacWrite II to import Word 4.0. Anyone know anything about this?

respond: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (10/28/89)

In article <Oct.26.22.32.28.1989.2249@galaxy.rutgers.edu> perez@andromeda (Willie Perez) writes:
>Hi, I'm currently using MacWrite II which imports many other formats.
>I see Pagemaker 3.02 imports Microsoft Word 4.0 and was wondering when
>Claris would jump on the bandwagon and have their MacWrite II import
>Word 4.0.  Has anyone heard of this yet?  I recently saw a file on a
>network.  The icon had that Claris look (little blue bar in the upper left
>corner) and it was named MicrosoftWord 4.0.  When I took an info,
>the version # said:  Claris Translator 1.0.  Now, I'm not sure but it
>looks like a file that when properly installed, like the installer,
>will allow MacWrite II to import Word 4.0. Anyone know anything about this?
>
>respond: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu

Yes, the newly shipping version of MacWrite II 1.1 supports handling Word 4.0
documents.  The little file called "MicrosoftWord 4.0" you saw is one of our
new XTND file translator modules.  You drop these in your system folder (or
your Claris folder in the system folder!) and they show up in a popup in
the open/save dialogs.

XTND is rather nifty.  You can aquire various XTND translators and use them
from various programs (soon, right now only MacWrite II 1.1 supports this,
but soon other Claris and NONClaris products will make use of the same XTND
file).

Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce
-------------+--------------------------------------

changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Chang P. Woo) (10/28/89)

In comp.sys.mac, perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Willie Perez)
wrote:

>Hi, I'm currently using MacWrite II which imports many other formats.
>I see Pagemaker 3.02 imports Microsoft Word 4.0 and was wondering when
>Claris would jump on the bandwagon and have their MacWrite II import
>Word 4.0.  Has anyone heard of this yet?  I recently saw a file on a
>network.  The icon had that Claris look (little blue bar in the upper
>left
>corner) and it was named MicrosoftWord 4.0.  When I took an info,
>the version # said:  Claris Translator 1.0.  Now, I'm not sure but it
>looks like a file that when properly installed, like the installer,
>will allow MacWrite II to import Word 4.0. Anyone know anything about
>this?

Yup. MacWrite II 1.1 can import/export Word 4.0, while importing a
fast-saved 4.0 files have given me some troubles. I believe the upgrade
to version 1.1 is free. (correct me on this.)

I love that word processor. After having had problems with Word 4.0
with importing graphics from Formulator and SuperPaint, MacWrite II is a
pure joy to use. (also, it was only $60 from the college store :-) )

By the way, on the related subject, the update info for ver 1.1 states
that a copy of MacLinkPlus (or something like that) is included with the
disk, but my set did not contain it. Am I missing it because I have the
educational discount?

Chang
--
----