[comp.sys.mac] 800k/FDHD -More Problems

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (10/26/89)

Hello all,

   I have a Mac II that has both an FDHD and an 800k floppy in it.  Last
night, while trying to initialize some 800k disks in the FDHD drive, I got
the dreaded 'Initializtion failed' message.  It always occured on the
second 'thunk' during 'Verify Format'....I took the disks and initted them
fine in the 800k drive (Yes, they really are DSDD disks, not HD disks).

Then I put files on them, and put them in the FDHD drive and it could read
them!

My question,  Why couldn't it initialize them!!!  Note, this is nothing
like the discussion recently on HD in 800k drives, not working in FDHD
drives.....These are DSDD disks NOT initializing in FDHD drives, but
working ok in 800k drives....

With all the bandwidth on the FDHD stuff, there MUST be a problem.  APPLE,
are we going to have to wait 'til 30% of the FDHD drives fail before you
recognize a problem (Ala Quantum HD response by Apple!)??
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (10/28/89)

In article <5756@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>   I have a Mac II that has both an FDHD and an 800k floppy in it.  Last
>night, while trying to initialize some 800k disks in the FDHD drive, I got
>the dreaded 'Initializtion failed' message.  It always occured on the
>second 'thunk' during 'Verify Format'....I took the disks and initted them
>fine in the 800k drive (Yes, they really are DSDD disks, not HD disks).
>
>Then I put files on them, and put them in the FDHD drive and it could read
>them!

This is an exact description of the problems we have had here with both
a MacIIx and SE/30. I have a number (~20)disks (DSDD) that consistently
format fine on a MacII or SE, but fail on the FDHDs. I too would like
to know if Apple recognizes this problem and has a fix.

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
University of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA/ERL/FSL
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168