[comp.sys.mac] Rear Window MF

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (10/22/89)

   For those of you who joined us late, various people were wishing that
windows wouldn't pop to the front in the Finder sometimes, because the new
frontmost window would block a smaller window that they were copying to.
   Many people suggested using Rear Window, a nifty INIT by Allan Foster that
keeps a window from popping to the front in the Finder when you hold down
command-tab.  People could then copy or move their files in peace.
   Unfortunately, with the advent of MultiFinder and its many over-patches,
Rear Window didn't work anymore.  Rear Window MF (which I whipped up in the
last half hour) fixes the MultiFinder problem.  It's free since it was no
trouble at all to write, but please don't go modifying my code.  (This is one
of the few things that I'm really touchy about.)  Since it's not much longer
than the original Rear Window, (which wasn't very long in the first place) I'm
just tacking it on to the end of this message.  Toss it in your System Folder
and have a blast.  Share and enjoy!
   (Didn't mean to steal your thunder Allan, but this was long overdue!)

Dean Yu                            | E-mail: mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu
Self-declared License Czar         | Real-mail: Dean Yu
University of Michigan             |            909 Church St
Computer Aided Engineering Network |            Apt C
     INCLUDE 'Disclaimers.a'       |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104

---[ Rear Window MF ]---

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

:$P*PBA)J9fPZC'ph)%e'!%P1594bGde'!*!)!QAAa3#3"!%!N!-#%!!!!4!!N!0
9!*!&S`%!!,8"8!3%8A9TG!#3"5F!k!!l!9Z!!!j5C@&b)&GTEQ4[Gb"04Q3#!*!
$58j*9(*h68B"!*!&58j*9(*h68B"!*!%J!#3!i3!N!`1NjpTR+B!N!B#C3&8J!#
3"`)8!'8#G)J!N!39!*!&b!&F!!%!N!J2S!#3""8!N!9N!9i!N!3"!*!&!qd!N!3
9!*!&m3&H!*!%!3#3"32X!*!%(3"3!)`!qJ&H!!%"!*!(!qJ)6Q9h)&4jF'8!N!-
A!*!$4N8a,M!JBRNJ4'9KEL"CG5iJ)&*PBA)J9fPZC'ph)'*j)%&XE'&Z)%C[Fh4
PFLiJU5!a16Jj)%0jBQ9bDA4P)&0jFh4PEA-!N!2#3IVrrU8S,`LTNL!m!!!"Y+G
'3rS!%L0)!!,"55!m!!!"Y+C(6R9J"J#3"M!krra+3'Bi3IJ*%%2i!Z"`!"!45%!
3%D3m5S"Q)L!m!!!"(kG'3rS!(L0)!!,"55!m!!!"(kC(3IVra$#m!2mJH[qi6Y"
J"!#3"%j@r4K"q!N33rJ#i(!!%"&)3"!4T$a+J'BQ5'lp'+Pf3Hlp'!aSJ3!!"QB
89@HTFc!I!N!"!'F)6PiJAeK26Y"1AL"krlK1d!!!!3#3!`)3!!!"%!#3!e8!1Ne
!#(3!N!-F!%B!!A*h68B!N!-558j*9!#3!ai!!2rr!*!&1Nf3!!#!!!"3!!"+!*!
%$P*PBA)J9fPZC'ph)%e'NGi:

afoster@ogccse.ogc.edu (Allan Foster) (10/24/89)

Hi Dean,

Well you beat me to the punch.  I assume that you used the same technique
as I did in the original.  I have not done it yet since I am a little
concerned about what side effects it would have on windows from other
apps.

Thats a nice excuse and I am sticking to it!  (Kill Dean's INITs!)

Now I have to think of a new and different hack for MacHack 90!

Thanx for doing it anyway.

Allan Foster
afoster@cse.ogc.edu

--
Allan Foster      UUCP  : tektronix!ogcvax!afoster
UseNet: afoster@cse.ogc.edu      GEnie  : A.FOSTER

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (10/24/89)

In article <465db658.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu} mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) writes:
}
[...]
Thanks.  This seems to work fine under MultiFinder.

Is there any way to make multiple selections (a la Shift-click)?  If I hold down
the command, tab and shift keys and then click, it no longer prevents the window
from popping up.  Holding down command-tab and dragging does let me choose
multiple items, but this has limited utility.

Thanks again!

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

milbouma@eplrx7.uucp (Mark Milbourne SCD) (10/26/89)

Thank you Dean Yu and Allan Foster for this neat hack.  I always have
windows all over the place and this makes life a lot easier.  Its nice that
it's so small that you could post the binary directly to this column.

What bytes in the binary set the key combination that activates it?
If possible I'd like to change it to something else.

Maybe if you work on some more sometime, you can add a configurable
resource that controls this.

Thanks!  It's great as it is, but it would be nice to be able to modify
this.
--
The UUCP Mailer

mystone@caen.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (10/28/89)

In article <1989Oct26.153311.5075@eplrx7.uucp> milbouma@eplrx7.UUCP (Mark Milbourne SCD) writes:

>Thank you Dean Yu and Allan Foster for this neat hack.  I always have

  You're welcome.

>Maybe if you work on some more sometime, you can add a configurable
>resource that controls this.
>
>Thanks!  It's great as it is, but it would be nice to be able to modify
>this.

  G's, there's just no satisfying some people!  ;)