[comp.sys.mac] Incorrect floppy insert alert

leo@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Leo Breebaart) (10/27/89)

Yet another problem. My hard disk is named "Hard Disk" (original, no?).
Lately my Macintosh refuses to ask for floppy disks by their real name
but *always* gives the message "Please insert disk: "Hard Disk"".

If I disable *all* my inits, everything functions normally. But this does
not sound like a very obscure bug, so before I spend an entire evening on
selectively disabling/enabling my inits until I finally spot the problem,
I would like to ask if the symptoms sound familiar to anyone.
If so, what init or combination of inits causes the problem, and is there
a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Leo Breebaart (leo @ duttnph.tudelft.nl)

mnkonar@manyjars.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (10/28/89)

In article <968@dutrun.UUCP> leo@duttnph.UUCP (Leo Breebaart) writes:
>Yet another problem. My hard disk is named "Hard Disk" (original, no?).
>Lately my Macintosh refuses to ask for floppy disks by their real name
>but *always* gives the message "Please insert disk: "Hard Disk"".

Somone here had this problem just yesterday.  Tossing out "Responder"
(an INIT that registers the user's chooser name on the network) fixed
the problem.  Very weird.

The symptom here was that as soon as you inserted a floppy, it would
ask for the hard disk as though it had been ejected!  It is getting
near Haloween I suppose.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

long@rainbo.enet.dec.com (Richard Long) (10/28/89)

In article <968@dutrun.UUCP> leo@duttnph.UUCP (Leo Breebaart) writes:
>Yet another problem. My hard disk is named "Hard Disk" (original, no?).
>Lately my Macintosh refuses to ask for floppy disks by their real name
>but *always* gives the message "Please insert disk: "Hard Disk"".

I've seen this problem sporadically (although not lately).  It usually presaged
a system crash, so be careful, and save your work.

Rich

 /~~) /~~ /     | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            |     decisions!!!!!
/~~\ /__ /__    | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long |       Or is it??
Richard C. Long | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com |========================