[comp.sys.mac] Mathematical graphing?

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (10/23/89)

Greetings.

Does anyone know of any good software to plot mathematical functions on the
Mac?  I don't want something like Mathematica (well, let me rephrase:  I can't
afford Mathematica!), but just something that given 1/2x^2e^-x will give me
a plot in the x-y plane.  Shareware is preferable, but I'd certainly consider
software in the <$100 range.  If my HP28S can do it, surely the Mac can...

--Mike

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/23/89)

In article <864@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:

>Does anyone know of any good software to plot mathematical functions on the
>Mac?  I don't want something like Mathematica (well, let me rephrase:  I can't
>afford Mathematica!), but just something that given 1/2x^2e^-x will give me
>a plot in the x-y plane.

   Well, if you are at MIT you should be able to get the Mathematica
University Discount, which would allow you to buy it at $160.00.

   However, if Mathematica is REALLY not your thing, you might look into
KaleidaGraph (sp?), a new package which is intended for just the sort of
thing you're looking for.  I am not sure who publishes it.

          -- Mark Wilkins
           wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (10/24/89)

In article <2581@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.UUCP (Mark Wilkins) writes:
:
[...]

Well, yes, I SHOULD be able to buy Mathematica (for my Plus, even) at the
educational discount.  However, because Wolfram Research apparently predicates
their selling to university stores at a discount upon the software being
bundled with every new Mac II sold, and since our store is unwilling to do
that, I can't get it.  I'm mighty upset 'bout that, since I'd buy it in an
instant.

Thanks to the folks who have written suggesting the Kinko's software and the
upcoming software from the folks who did Expressionist.  Any other ideas?

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

aae391aa@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (10/25/89)

Written  4:22 am  Oct 23, 1989 by wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU:

 > In article <864@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
 > (Michael J Kobb) writes:
 >
 > >Does anyone know of any good software to plot mathematical functions on the
 > >Mac? I don't want something like Mathematica (well, let me rephrase:I can't
 > >afford Mathematica!), but just something that given 1/2x^2e^-x will give me
 > >a plot in the x-y plane.
 >
 >    Well, if you are at MIT you should be able to get the Mathematica
 > University Discount, which would allow you to buy it at $160.00.
 >
 >    However, if Mathematica is REALLY not your thing, you might look into
 > KaleidaGraph (sp?), a new package which is intended for just the sort of
 > thing you're looking for.  I am not sure who publishes it.

I think KaleidaGraph is from Abelbeck Software.  The program is supposed to be
"A graphics application for Business and Engineering" or something like that.
Sorry, don't have an address or phone number.

				     Erik A. Johnson
				     johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
                                     aae391aa@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (10/25/89)

In article <868@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:

(Recommendations for some programs)

>Thanks to the folks who have written suggesting the Kinko's software and the
>upcoming software from the folks who did Expressionist.  Any other ideas?
>
>--Mike
I can recommend Igor by wavemetrics.  It is US$195. from
Wavemetrics
PO Box 2088
Lake Oswego
OR 97035
503/635-8849
WaveMetrics@AppleLink.Apple.com
-------------------
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CDNnet : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |
-------------------

wtj@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (william.t.jones) (10/25/89)

> In article <864@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
> (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>
>    However, if Mathematica is REALLY not your thing, you might look into
> KaleidaGraph (sp?), a new package which is intended for just the sort of
> thing you're looking for.  I am not sure who publishes it.

KaleidaGraph is published by Synergy Software (215) 779-0522. It is also
available from most any mail order house.

Bill Jones
att!mhuxu!wtj

jim@qtc.UUCP (Jim Prouty) (10/25/89)

I've seen a program which may interest you.  Igor is a graphics program
from WaveMetrics for the Mac, which is specifically research-oriented and
provides publication-quality graphs.

MacWeek reviewed Igor in their April 18, 1989 and July 11, 1989.
WaveMetrics recently released version 1.1 that added capabilities and
addressed some user's complaints.

The product announcement from WaveMetrics:

WaveMetrics is proud to introduce Igor, a powerful graphing and data
analysis program for the Macintosh. Igor is designed for experimentation
with numeric data and production of publication quality scientific
and engineering graphs.

Here are some unique features of Igor.

	It is FAST. Graphs are updated almost instantly.

	Number and length of data sets are limited only by available memory.

	Each variable and data array can individually be single or double
	precision, real or complex.

	Imports data via text files or via the clipboard. You can also
	synthesize data using mathematical expressions.

	Graphs can contain any number of data sets, each with it's own color
	and line style (including true dashed lines).

	Graphs are printed at the highest available resolution of your printer.

	You can print multiple graphs per page, overlay graphs and print
	poster-sized graphs.

	Supports linear, log/log and semilog graphs with up to four axes per
	graph.

	Labels and annotation can use sub/superscripts and any combination
	of fonts, sizes and styles.

	Graphs support zooming, panning, auto and manual scaling.

	Each graph can have its own cursors and cursor information panel
	providing dynamic readout of several quantities (including delta-X
	and delta-Y when two cursors are in use).

	Tick marks are always labeled intelligently even under pathelogical
	conditions.

	Most errors encountered during the execution of a user's macro
	can be corrected on-the-fly.

	Data analyses include:
		manipulation of data with straightforward mathematical
		expressions which can draw upon more than 80 functions

		linear curve fitting to lines & polynomials; non-linear
		fits to sines, exponentials, double exponentials, Gaussians
		and Lorentzians.  Igor can automatically provide initial
		coefficients for the non-linear fits.

		FFTs and IFFTs on real and complex data

		smoothing

		histogram generation

		integration and differentiation

		descriptive statistics

		searching and sorting

		very powerful and flexible waveform arithmetic

	All operations can be invoked from dialogs, from structured macros
	or from a command line.  You can write a simple macro to load your
	data from a file, make a graph with styles of your choice and
 	print the graph.

Igor runs on a Mac Plus, SE, II or IIx. It requires a minimum of two
floppy drives and 600K of available memory. It supports the 68881
math coprocessor, color, large screens and multiple screens. It
requires version 3.2 or later of the Macintosh operating system
and supports MultiFinder including background processing.

Igor is available immediately from WaveMetrics. The single quantity
price is $195 plus shipping. Quantity discounts and site licenses
are available.

For more information contact:

	WaveMetrics
	P.O. Box 2088
	Lake Oswego, OR  97035
	(503) 635-8849
	AppleLink D1832

---------
I've enclosed reviews by some current Igor users:

In <1944@virginia.acc.virginia.edu>, David E. Hustk writes:
        I've used Cricket Graph and KaleidaGraph for the last
three months and Igor for about a week, and as of now I would
have to recommend Igor.
        It has the the ability to do laserwriter resolution
in all graphics modes(i.e. scatter,line etc.) it is very
simple to attach labels headings,etc. to the graphs.  It's
Pagemaker friendly, has a very powerful macro's language/processor,
and has built in Fourier transform,inverse Fourier transform,
differentiation, integration, sorting, smoothing,curve
fitting (poly,exp,gauss etc),x and y error bars and a host of
other features.
       In addition it has one of the best written and consise
instruction manuals I've seen.  The price isn't bad either
at $195.00 and if this isn't enough you get a 30 day
unconditional guarantee.(If you don't like it send it back.)
       I have no connection with the above product other
than liking it a great deal.
                        DEH7g@Newton.virginia.edu
                        Physics Dept. UVa

And another review from Info-Mac Digest:

Date: 20 Feb 89 13:18:00 EST
From: "ZZT" <zzt@stc10.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: more Mac graphing

I too have found Cricket Graph to have annoying limitations (inability to
mix symbols and ordinary text, subscripts, superscripts, slow on a
Mac II...).  Recently, we purchased a new program called Igor from Wave
metrics for a little (a very little) under $200 that may be useful for many
people.  Its main advantage seems to be for automatically producing plots
of basically similar sets of data.  Igor is basically a laboratory assitant
that takes data (text files) and produces pretty good plots.  It uses a
standard Macintosh interface such as pull down menus etc., but in a
slightly different manner.

     Whenever you make a selection, rather than just executing your choice,
a command is automatically entered in a small window, executed, and saved
in a "history" window.  The commands in the history window can be later
move to a macro window and edited to create a procedure for use at some
later time.  In fact, you can set things up so that upon running Igor a data
file is read in, the data curves are analyzed (scaling, Fourier Transform,
fit to Lorentzian...), the data are plotted, and then printed.  Although at
first the user interface appears daunting, it is only slightly different;
you can still do everything from dialogs and pull down menus.  Appearently
everything that the program can do, can be done either by standard menus
and dialogs, or by commands.

     The limitations in Igor that I have encountered are:

-- selection of markers is too limited, and they cannot be easily sized
-- axis labels cannot be positioned, and often appear too far away for me
-- error bars are possible, but not easy

     Particular advantages of Igor are:

-- can mix symbols, text, superscripts, and subscripts in text boxes
-- ability to save ALL features of a plot for use with another set of data
-- can AUTOMATICALLY process data (much of my data is fit to two gaussian
     curves) and automatically put results (mean, FWHM,...) into text boxes
-- ability to print two graphs on the same page, even on top of each other
-- can accept data, analysis, graphing, and printing commands from a single
     TEXT file.  Thus your PDP-11 can take data and generate a file with
     EVERYTHING you need for a picture
-- doing mathematical operations on data is very easy, and there is plenty
     to choose from (even special functions such as bessel functions)

Note, these opinions are mine, and are unconnected to Wave Metrics or my
employer.  I just use programs.

Jon Tischler, ORNL
DDN:    zzt@stc10.ctd.ornl.gov
Bitnet: zzt@ornlstc

[...]
End of Info-Mac Digest
******************************

Disclaimer:  My only connection with WaveMetrics is that some friends of mine
             work there and I have a copy of Igor.

Jim Prouty
Quantitative Technology Corporation   "A man is not the sum of his possessions."
8700 SW Creekside Place
Beaverton, Oregon   97005
(503)-626-3081      tektronix!sequent!qtc!jim

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (10/26/89)

There is also a shareware (I think) program out called Math 21 and
it does nice 3-D graphing of equations.  If you can't find it, let
me know and I'll bin-hex it and mail it to you.

Terry

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (10/26/89)

I would highly recommend IGOR by WaveMatrics (503-635-8849).  The price is
about the same as Kalaidagraph, but it does a whole lot more.  It has built
in FFT capabilties (for you signal analysis types) and non-linear least squares
fitting using user defined functions (this feature is really great). The
tech support is outstanding.  I am not affiliated with the company, but
have gone through the array of other graphing and analysis programs like
Crichet Graph (ugh), Fastat (too limited but promising), SYSTAT (powerful,
but very poor user interface and expensive), Mathematica (excellent program,
but for most of us it is way overpriced (~$700 for MACII), it just isn't that
great), and Kaleidagraph (close second). I have used it for generating
publication quality graphs for my thesis (The anotation capabilities includes
any concievable font style, size, or type).
I hope this helps.

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (10/26/89)

In article <864@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Greetings.
>
>Does anyone know of any good software to plot mathematical functions on the
>Mac?  I don't want something like Mathematica (well, let me rephrase:  I can't
>afford Mathematica!), but just something that given 1/2x^2e^-x will give me
>a plot in the x-y plane.  Shareware is preferable, but I'd certainly consider
>software in the <$100 range.  If my HP28S can do it, surely the Mac can...

About a year ago, I downloaded something called NumberCrunch from
Compuserve.  It does what you want, and is completely free.  It comes
in both desk accessory and application versions, knows about
transcendental functions, allows you to define your own functions,
offers on-line help, etc.  Adheres very well to the Mac interface. I
was astounded to find a free program this good.  The author is Jim
Mahoney, PO Box 347, Marlboro, VT 05344.  The About box says if you
send him $17, he will mail you a copy of the program and further
documentation.

Jim.Matthews@dartvax (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.180423.28664@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>,
tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) writes:
> There is also a shareware (I think) program out called Math 21 and
> it does nice 3-D graphing of equations.  If you can't find it, let
> me know and I'll bin-hex it and mail it to you.
>
> Terry

Math21 was an early name for MacFunction, a 3-d function grapher developed
at Harvard and marketed by True Basic, Inc.  It has never been shareware
(although I did once see it in a shareware disk catalog) and the latest
version is much better than the one called Math21.  Last time I checked
MacConnection had it for about $35.

Disclaimer: I wrote most of MacFunction, but I don't get royalties.

--
Jim Matthews
Dartmouth College

englandr@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Scott Englander) (10/29/89)

Well, i saw all the other recommendations for Igor, and was
contemplating not wasting bandwidth with yet another, but decided i just
had to plug this program.  I'll just say that it's rare that i've found
a program of this quality, both in implementation and tech support.  I
use it A LOT, and have found it to be extremely powerful and easy to use
in every respect.  I only wish it plotted in 3 dimensions. :-)

--

                                               - Scott