[comp.sys.mac] WindChooser 1.12 and Superpaint 2.0

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (10/25/89)

I recently installed WindChooser 1.12 on my system (Mac II, 6.0.2).
WindChooser is a CDEV that allows you to select from a number of
alternative WDEFs. While using the WDEF (window definition function)
called "Alex's Shrinker", I encountered problems with Superpaint 2.0.
When I opened a document (with Open... from the File menu) its window
failed to appear!

Just so you know...

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

unhd (Thomas J Baker) (10/26/89)

In article <4811@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>I recently installed WindChooser 1.12 on my system (Mac II, 6.0.2).
>WindChooser is a CDEV that allows you to select from a number of
>alternative WDEFs. While using the WDEF (window definition function)
>called "Alex's Shrinker", I encountered problems with Superpaint 2.0.
>When I opened a document (with Open... from the File menu) its window
>failed to appear!
>
>Just so you know...
>
>Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
>(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
>		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

I also had this problem and it also occurs with GIFFER.

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct26.120937.15463@uunet!unhd> tjb@unhd.UUCP (Thomas J  Baker) writes:
>In article <4811@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>>I recently installed WindChooser 1.12 on my system (Mac II, 6.0.2).
>>WindChooser is a CDEV that allows you to select from a number of
>>alternative WDEFs. While using the WDEF (window definition function)
>>called "Alex's Shrinker", I encountered problems with Superpaint 2.0.
>>When I opened a document (with Open... from the File menu) its window
>>failed to appear!
>>
>>Just so you know...
>>
>>Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
>>(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
>>		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP
>

>I also had this problem and it also occurs with GIFFER.

Add Color Tetris to the list of windchooser hostile  programs. I works fine,
except that there is no game window.  Too bad, I really like the Smalltalk
style windows.

josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (10/28/89)

In article <15990@netnews.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) writes:
> In article <1989Oct26.120937.15463@uunet!unhd> tjb@unhd.UUCP (Thomas J  Baker) writes:
>>In article <4811@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Herb Poppe) writes:
>>>I recently installed WindChooser 1.12 on my system (Mac II, 6.0.2).
>>>WindChooser is a CDEV that allows you to select from a number of
>>>alternative WDEFs. While using the WDEF (window definition function)
>>>called "Alex's Shrinker", I encountered problems with Superpaint 2.0.
>>>When I opened a document (with Open... from the File menu) its window
>>>failed to appear!
>>>
>>>Just so you know...
>>>
>>>Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
>>>(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
>>>		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP
>>

>>I also had this problem and it also occurs with GIFFER.
> Add Color Tetris to the list of windchooser hostile  programs. I works fine,
> except that there is no game window.  Too bad, I really like the Smalltalk
> style windows.

...and the Excel 2.2 help window, and MacWrite II under certain
circumstances. No, I don't think WindChooser 1.12 is very stable at all.

I should know; I wrote it.

One fix for any problems people have with it is to engage CapsLock when
opening windows in problem applications. This will force WC to open a
standard Apple window. This has worked for a few of the problem
applications, and it hasn't worked for some others.

Anyway, my suggestion to people who have problems with WindChooser is to
find AltWDEF by the same Alex who wrote the Shrinker WDEF in
WindChooser. It has much better error checking, is almost as
configurable, and does a much better job of shrinking itself (in various
ways) than the Shrinker WDEF in WindChooser. In short, it's better.  I
believe the current incarnation of AltWDEF is 1.4, and it's posted on
CompuServe. It should have appeared in comp.binaries.mac by now. If it
hasn't, someone let me know where to mail the BinHex of it and I will.

I contemplated a WindChooser II for a while, but I had some problems
with various poorly documented ROM calls, and AltWDEF was exploding with
popularity, so I gave up. That would be :-( except that I'm fairly sick
of it -- it's very little code to stare at for such a long time.
--
  | GurgleKat (Pete Gontier), pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu
  | .UUCP reply addresses bounce; try another path.
  | ...if you'd gone to Dartmouth, you'd not have had to take the math.

ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell) (10/28/89)

MacWrite 4.6 seems to always crash when started
up with WindChooser 1.12 (Alex's Shrinker) active.
Confirm?  Deny?  Work around?

(Mac+ 6.02)

thanks,
Ian
ktrostel@athena.mit.edu

In article <15475@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> ktrostel@athena.mit.edu (Ian Dowell) writes:
> MacWrite 4.6 seems to always crash when started
> up with WindChooser 1.12 (Alex's Shrinker) active.
> Confirm?  Deny?  Work around?

Confirm.

Hold down Caps Lock when opening new documents.

If all is still not well, get AltWDEF. Looks like I'm going to hasve to
send it to Info-Mac.
--
  | GurgleKat (Pete Gontier), pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu
  | .UUCP reply addresses bounce; try another path.
  | ...if you'd gone to Dartmouth, you'd not have had to take the math.

cbm@well.UUCP (Chris Muir) (10/29/89)

If you open windows with the capslock key down it will use the stock
window, not the fancy one, and everything should be ok with WindChooser.

Chris Muir                             |   "There is no language in our lungs
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}          |    to tell the world just how we feel"
!well!cbm                              |                         - A. Partridge