[comp.sys.mac] installing extra monitor

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (10/28/89)

I have an extra monochrome monitor that I bought with my mac II and
is now the remnant of an upgrade.  I've been thinking of selling it,
but I just noticed a line in our computer store's price list that
reads "Video  Card  (Mac  II  1bit)" . . . and the price is even
reasonable!  I'd be interested in running two monitors on my machine
(after all, it would practically double my workspace), especially if
I can do it for the price that they listed ($131+tax).  Can I do what
I want using this card?  Does anyone have one (a video card) that they
would like to sell for less than our computer store?  What software do
I need in order to accomplish my objective?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

orchard@tybalt.caltech.edu (John Orchard) (10/29/89)

In article <wZGC3=K00WBKA2zUx6@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>   I'd be interested in running two monitors on my machine
>(after all, it would practically double my workspace), especially if
>I can do it for the price that they listed ($131+tax).  Can I do what
>I want using this card?  Does anyone have one (a video card) that they
>would like to sell for less than our computer store?  What software do
>I need in order to accomplish my objective?
>
>Brad

   I've done this a couple of times, and even had three monitors on at once
for a little while. Its easy. Just put the video card in one of the
empty slots and plug in your extra monitor. No extra software needed;
the Monitors cdev should handle it all automatically.

When you reboot, go into the Control Panel into the Monitors cdev. It should
show two screens there, like little rectangles with numbers on them, #1
for monitor number 1, and #2 for two. You can slide around the monitors
in the electronic "space" to form an uninterrupted workspace of whatever
config you want--top and bottom, side by side, whatever.  You
can also drag the menu bar to whichever screen you want, and you can
get the "happy face"  screen by command-option (I think) when
you first go to the cdev.(The happy face shows which screen gets the
"welcome to macintosh" screen when you boot).

It's really cool when you finally reboot and play around with your
new huge desktop. One word of warning: it is pretty easy to "lose"
your cursor when moving around all these monitors.

How and where did I get to mess around with this? Well, I was the
Tyrant of Timbuktu Testing at Farallon before I left to come to grad
school. So we had to test tb2 3.0 with all sorts of weird configurations.
And don't even *ask* me about file transfer!  :-)

John Orchard
orchard@tybalt.caltech.edu       OR     jto@pooh.caltech.edu