[comp.sys.mac] ChipWits fix?

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (10/30/89)

In article <5502@umd5.umd.edu> jg13@umd5.umd.edu (Allon Stern) writes:

>I remember a game that a friend of mine had on his Mac 512 K (alas, it
>dies a horrible death when you attempt to run it on a Mac II...
>It was called ChipWits (NOT PD software  --  he bought this)
>You control a robot by writing a sort of program for him to follow.
>Then you set him loose, and he has to fend for himself, zapping enemies
>with a ray, or getting goodies, like cans of oil.  You have to be pretty
>clever to make a good program, and it's a good exercise in artificial
>intelligence.
>
>                               - -= Allon =- -

I have ChipWits.  It died when I upgraded to a Mac+, and I mourn its
passing.  This past summer I had a chance to use a 512K Mac for
awhile, and my disk still works; the interface isn't so hot by today's
standards, but it's still a really neat program.  (If you have ever
seen Karel, imagine it with neat graphics and sound effects and a
visual point-and-click programming language...)

I made some attempt to contact the company that made
it--BrainWorks--but they appear to be thoroughly defunct.

My wife thinks that she once saw (on the internet) a patch to make ChipWits
work on a Mac+ (and possibly later machines).  Has anyone ever heard
of such a thing?  Does anyone have a possibly later version of
ChipWits that will work on a Mac+?  Does anyone know the author(s) of
the program?  If so, PLEASE contact me; I'd really like to have it again.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
  << Those who fail to learn from Unix are doomed to repeat it. >>