[comp.sys.mac] MacWarehouse

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (10/26/89)

In article <370@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) writes:

>Look, this companies sells good stuff at a good price and has obviously
>designed an advertising campaign that they feels work for them
>(I also forgot to mention their fantastic delivery overnight for $3.00).
>Kerry is the manager of the sales reps (hence her picture is on everything).
>Have they posed in swimsuits?  Have they used phrases in the ads like
>"for a good time.....".  *NO* they have not.  Their ads with Kerry
>usually picture her wearing a bulky sweater and one of those
>phone headsets.  Hardly the "come hither" that some folks on the
>net would have you believe (I forgot she is *smiling* I guess that
>could be miscontrued....).  Seriously, any percieved "sexism" has
>to be generated by the beholder; IMHO I certainly don't see anything
>particularly sexist about it.  Another interesting point is that all
[lots of other good stuff deleted in the interests of conserving
bandwidth]

I'm a little amazed that there is so much controversy over the
MacWarehouse ads.  Are you people also complaining to Calvin Klien?
Dial Soap?  Cosmopolitan Magazine?  And the other 99% of American
companies that use latent sex as part of their advertising?  Get a
grip out there.  I thought only Jerry Falwell and his crew were
that rampantly anti-woman.

The picture is of a nicely dressed woman smiling at the camera.  No
suggestive positions, no suggestive copy, just identifying (in a
positive light) those with whom we do business when we order.  I
wish more companies would do that.  I liked it.  But then, I like
women.  Perhaps those who are bashing this ad should reexamine
their own feelings.

I also agree with Bob, if you don't like the advertising and it
means that much to you, please feel free to make the decision not
to buy from them.  This is, after all, America.  And we are free to
vote with our bucks.  I just think the reaction is way in excess of
the ad content.

Terry

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.180150.28389@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) writes:

   I'm a little amazed that there is so much controversy over the
   MacWarehouse ads.  Are you people also complaining to Calvin Klien?
   Dial Soap? [stuff deleted]

The difference is the target audience.  It's not surprising when the
_relatively_ uneducated TV and Billboard audiences are targetted with
sexist ads, or when the macho sports audiences are.  Perhaps people
expect Mac users to be more educated, and more aware of issues of
sexism in our society.

   The picture is of a nicely dressed woman smiling at the camera.  No
   suggestive positions, no suggestive copy, just identifying (in a
   positive light) those with whom we do business when we order.

I agree.  After looking at the ad again, it could just as easily
have been a male employee (any employee) leaning on the Mac.
It's not slinky or sexy.

 -andrew

spencer@heinlein.osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (10/26/89)

In article <ALMS.89Oct25150421@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:

>I agree.  After looking at the ad again, it could just as easily
>have been a male employee (any employee) leaning on the Mac.
>It's not slinky or sexy.

Have you looked at the MacWareHouse catalogue?  It has one of these
"Hi, I'm X. Call me at MWH." pictures, about 1.5 inches on a side, at the
bottom of every other page (approximately).  About a third (again, approx.)
of the "X"s are male.  A few of the "X"s are repeated, as well.
-=-
Stephen N. Spencer      |"For a successful technology, reality must take
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. | precedence over public relations, for Nature
Columbus OH 43212       | cannot be fooled."     - Richard P. Feynman
spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu OR spencer@cis.ohio-state.edu

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (10/26/89)

About the MacWarehouse discussion: you guys are wasting your
time and also USENET bandwidth. Period.

Remco

stevens@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (10/27/89)

In article <360@oscsuna.osc.edu> spencer@heinlein.cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
>In article <ALMS.89Oct25150421@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:
>>
>>I agree.  After looking at the ad again, it could just as easily
>>have been a male employee (any employee) leaning on the Mac.
>>It's not slinky or sexy.

I agree, the picture itself is not a problem for me.

>Have you looked at the MacWareHouse catalogue?  It has one of these
>"Hi, I'm X. Call me at MWH." pictures, about 1.5 inches on a side, at the
>bottom of every other page (approximately).  About a third (again, approx.)
>of the "X"s are male.  A few of the "X"s are repeated, as well.

Well, this is the problem I have withthe ads. They don't bother me now,
but when I first saw them I was a little upset. The reason is that when I
was growing up some airline was doing ads saying "Hi I'm X, come fly me."
These ads were indeed sexist and I immediately remembered these ads when
I saw the MacWareHouse ads. If the text of the adsa were different I
would probably never have been bothered at all.

FLAMES to the bitbucket please.

|Curt Stevens       (303) 492-1218 |   /   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Science Dept. ECOT 7-7   |   |   |----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |Its a dog eat dog world & Im wear-|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309-0430  USA |       |ing milkbone underwear.Norm@Cheers|

========
| Curt |
========

din@pohl.cis.upenn.edu (Clarence Din) (10/28/89)

In article <ALMS.89Oct25150421@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:
>   The picture is of a nicely dressed woman smiling at the camera.  No
>   suggestive positions, no suggestive copy, just identifying (in a
>   positive light) those with whom we do business when we order.
>
>I agree.  After looking at the ad again, it could just as easily
>have been a male employee (any employee) leaning on the Mac.
>It's not slinky or sexy.

The funny thing is, if you thumb through MacWarehouse's catalog, Kerry
and Donna (featured in MacWorld/MacUser/etc ads) are the cutest girls
there.  Look at Debbie.  She looks like an ex-football player with a
sex change.

The MacWarehouse ads are nothing compared to one ad which said "Hi,
I'm Maria.  Call me."  The girl had a sultry look in her eye and had a
pen at the tip of her mouth (BJ BJ!).  She was dressed in skimpy
attire.  Look in the back of a Hustler or even a National Lampoon.
Same type of girl, different type of service.

- Clarence

| Clarence Kenneth Din    oo |                         |   ___  __  __ ____   |
|                         \/ |  Descartes' doth say... |  // |/ || //  || \\  |
| University of Pennsylvania |  "I thought,            | ||     ||     ||  || |
| din@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    |   Therefore, I ain't!"  |  \\__  || \\_ |__//  |

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/29/89)

Remco Bruyne says:

>About the MacWarehouse discussion: you guys are wasting your time and
>also USENET bandwidth. Period.

My, it's a week for terse posts.  This is a net for discussion of many
things, related to the Mac.  I would hope that advanced university
students and the professional corporate world out there can stand a little
philosophical/sociological discussion.  Kerry and MacWarehouse are
Mac-related.  So the discussion went beyond "I can't open DAs under
MultiFinder."  If you can't handle it, pal, you know how to skip the
message.  If I choose to engage in activities that you consider a waste of
time, what of it?  What's it to you?  Look, you don't see me going into
your frat house and taking away your beer kegs, telling you "you're
wasting your time", do you?  I don't yank off your white hood and insist
you're wasting your time, do I?

Anyway, what was the point of your post?  Merely telling me I'm wasting my
time does absolutely nothing.  So tell me _why_ I'm wasting my time.
Explain why my reasoning is faulty, and why it would behoove me (that
means, translated to idiotese, "why it would be good for me") to focus my
attention, time, and efforts elsewhere.

If the net has degenerated into a place where the thinking man isn't
welcome, then I deeply regret it.

--Adam--

ps  "Remco Bruyne".  Is that really your name?  I'm serious.  I'm curious
as to where the surname originated.  I don't recognize the construction.

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

ebm@ibmarc.uucp (Eli Messinger) (10/31/89)

Andrew L. M. Shalit...

> ... After looking at the ad again, it could just as easily
> have been a male employee (any employee) leaning on the Mac.

And if you look at catalogue 3.1, you'll find:

	Page 11: Victor
	Page 21: Vic
	Page 25: Don
	Page 31: Darren
	Page 67: John

--
 "The real test of an artist, of course, is not whether you can see each blade
 of grass, but whether the eyes follow you across the room."   --Stewart Evans

  CSNET: ebm@ibm.com / UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmarc!ebm / BITNET: ebm@almvma.bitnet