[comp.sys.mac] BlackBox & QuickKeys

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) (10/31/89)

I looked back about 1000 articles and didn't find this info anywhere.

I just installed BlackBox and enjoyed having all of its functionality.
The problems I found stemmed from having quickkeys installed.

The screen saver and (I think) the window flipping didn't work (while
quickkeys was at its normal location.

I renamed quickkeys to load before black box and the screen saver and
flipper now work.  Also, I just learned (while typing this letter)
that the smart quotes don't work.  Here is an example of what happens:

RThis isnUt quoted.R

which is supposed to be:

"This isn't quoted."

So far, it has been working great, although I haven't put it through
its paces yet.  I would like to see compatibility with quick keys.  I
guess I can throw away dialogkeys now.  Also a "smarter" screen saver
and moveable dock would be great.

Incidently, someone was asking about where to get it.  It is on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu in /info-mac/init/black-box12.hqx

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

In article <13336@boulder.Colorado.EDU> bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) writes:

>...  Also, I just learned (while typing this letter)
>that the smart quotes don't work.  Here is an example of what happens:
>
>RThis isnUt quoted.R
>
>which is supposed to be:
>
>"This isn't quoted."

I just tried another editor and the quotes worked correctly.  This
problem, occurs only in Telnet 2.3, regardless of quickkeys being on
or off.

It must have something to do with standard ascii on a unix machine.

Incidently, my system configuration is:

Mac II
8 bit color
5 MB
System 6.0.2
gobs of inits
  including quickkeys or aquickkeys depending...

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

>>...  Also, I just learned (while typing this letter)
>>that the smart quotes don't work.  Here is an example of what happens:
>>
>>RThis isnUt quoted.R

>>"This isn't quoted."

>I just tried another editor and the quotes worked correctly.  This
>problem, occurs only in Telnet 2.3, regardless of quickkeys being on
>or off.

that's what smart quotes will look like if they're turned on in a program
that only uses standard ascii. What's happening is that you're sending out
a typeset quote and it's getting the funny bits stripped out and turned
back into a printable character.

What you need to be able to do is turn *off* smart quotes in telnet.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.