[comp.sys.mac] MacWharehouse

djd@ziebmef.mef.org (David Dmytryshyn) (10/20/89)

Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?  You know, the
ones which say "Hi, I'm Donna, call me at MacWharehouse."  What
exactly are these people running?  Wonder if anyone has complained
about these adds...

Just to waste a bit more bandwidth, anyone know how to break a
Tetris addiction?  I just can't stop.

David..  (terminal tetris addict)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct19.212912.4097@ziebmef.mef.org> djd@ziebmef.mef.org
	(David Dmytryshyn) writes:
>Just to waste a bit more bandwidth, anyone know how to break a
>Tetris addiction?  I just can't stop.

Have you tried Dark Castle?  How about NetHack?  NetHack has
completely cured my Tetris addiction, and it's free, too.

There is also the option to use your Macintosh for useful, productive
work...

Earle R. Horton

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/22/89)

David Dmytryshyn writes:

>Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?  You know, the ones
>which say "Hi, I'm Donna, call me at MacWharehouse."  What exactly
>are these people running?  Wonder if anyone has complained about
>these adds...

I wrote a paper for linguistics class that depended heavily on the obvious
sexism exhibited by MacWarehouse (or, as you imply, MacWhorehouse).  "Hi,
I'm Kerry!  Call me!"  Sheesh.  'Course, if you leaf through their
catalog, you'll see they have _all_ their customer service reps in similar
poses giving similar welcomes to the Warehouse.  That doesn't make their
main ad with Kerry any less sexist, though.  The Kerry ad is for the
general public.  They have an ad in MacWEEK aimed at the corporate buyer;
it's in a similar vein, only in that ad they use Donna.  And get
this--DONNA WEARS GLASSES!  Oooooooooh.  She wears GLASSES.  She _must_ be
smart and very corporate-like.  Corporate buyers LIKE the idea that
_they're_ not buying from some DUMMY who _doesn't_ wear glasses.  And, of
course, conversely, the general public would be turned off by Donna,
because of her glasses I guess, so they need Kerry.  I like MacWarehouse,
they have good prices, good support, good delivery, and I spend my money
there.  But the Kerry/Donna ad has bugged me since day 1 that I got my Mac
and brought home my first Macworld magazine.  Programs Plus and
MacConnection don't need such blatant sexism to sell product.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (10/24/89)

Adam Frix writes:

> David Dmytryshyn writes:
> >Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?

> I wrote a paper for linguistics class that depended heavily on the obvious
> sexism exhibited by MacWarehouse (or, as you imply, MacWhorehouse).

I always thought they were just trying to add a personal freindly touch
to their company.

> I'm Kerry!  Call me!"  Sheesh.  'Course, if you leaf through their
> catalog, you'll see they have _all_ their customer service reps in similar
> poses giving similar welcomes to the Warehouse.  That doesn't make their
> main ad with Kerry any less sexist, though.  The Kerry ad is for the
> general public.  They have an ad in MacWEEK aimed at the corporate buyer;
> it's in a similar vein, only in that ad they use Donna.

When I called in my first order I asked about Kerry.  At the time she was
the only ad.  Plus she got a lot more coverage in the catalog.  It turns
out that Kerry is the department manager or some such level.  Perhaps
she always wanted to be in pictures?  By the way have you noticed that
when you call for an order the operator actualy says "Hi, I'm _____.".
Is this sexest too?  Actualy I like flipping through the catalog and
trying to find them before I finish my order, it's almost like a TV
telephone.

> I like MacWarehouse,
> they have good prices, good support, good delivery, and I spend my money
> there.

> --Adam--

The bottom line is the bottom line.  I spend my money there too.
Even though John took my order one day. :-)

Pete Hoch

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct19.212912.4097@ziebmef.mef.org> djd@ziebmef.mef.org (David Dmytryshyn) writes:

   Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?  You know, the
   ones which say "Hi, I'm Donna, call me at MacWharehouse."  What
   exactly are these people running?  Wonder if anyone has complained
   about these adds...

I've been bothered by these ads also, though I've never gotten around
to complaining about them.

On the other hand, I've twice found them carrying products which I couldn't
get at MacConnection (my first choice).

On the third hand, when I bought one of the products, it turned out
to be a loser.  Maybe there's a moral in there somewhere.

     -andrew

alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) (10/24/89)

In article <1989Oct19.212912.4097@ziebmef.mef.org> djd@ziebmef.mef.org (David Dmytryshyn) writes:

   Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?  You know, the
   ones which say "Hi, I'm Donna, call me at MacWharehouse."  What
   exactly are these people running?  Wonder if anyone has complained
   about these adds...

Are you sure the ads say "MacWharehouse"?  I thought that second "a"
was actually an "o". :-)

  -andrew

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/24/89)

In article <26933.2542AACD@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>I wrote a paper for linguistics class that depended heavily on the obvious
>sexism exhibited by MacWarehouse (or, as you imply, MacWhorehouse).  "Hi,
>I'm Kerry!  Call me!"  Sheesh.  'Course, if you leaf through their
> [stuff deleted]
>and brought home my first Macworld magazine.  Programs Plus and
>MacConnection don't need such blatant sexism to sell product.

Yawn.  You know, there are  LEGITIMATE places to  find sexism, racism,
etc without digging this deeply.

The  last time  I  called MacWarehouse,  I jokingly  asked to speak to
Kerry.  The (male) receptionist  chuckled and commented that  they get
picked on fairly regularly about the ad  campaign.  The motivation was
to show how  friendly and human the  sales staff is.  Kerry originally
got top billing because she was the first sales receptionist.

Whooopdedo.  It's kinda dumb,  but  keep things  in perspective - it's
not  worth getting   that upset  about  and flinging  about  a lot  of
far-fetched accusations.  Since  you shop there,  you obviously aren't
that upset about it...

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (10/24/89)

In article <26933.2542AACD@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
<I like MacWarehouse,
<they have good prices, good support, good delivery, and I spend my money
<there.  But the Kerry/Donna ad has bugged me since day 1 that I got my Mac
<and brought home my first Macworld magazine.  Programs Plus and
<MacConnection don't need such blatant sexism to sell product.

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is sexism. When that ad
came out (in fact it was the catalog I saw first), I interpreted it as a
friendly gesture meant to take away some of the negative publicity mail
order houses have. These are real people you're talking to not some deep
dark mafia type that will take your money and not deliver.

What I did notice in the most recent ads is an emphasis on hardware and
accessories in MacWarehouse without any of the emerging software listed.
MacConnection, however, had Adobe Type Manager prominently displayed and
After Dark (screen saver) in their ad. They got my first order yesterday.
However, they couldn't provide ATM today and asked if it would be OK to
wait another day and send both at the same time.

I said OK, because it is more efficient, but in similar circumstances,
MacWarehouse never asked. They just sent things out as they had them, at
their expense.

Shirley Kehr

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/25/89)

In article <ALMS.89Oct23173512@brazil.cambridge.apple.com> alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit) writes:
>Are you sure the ads say "MacWharehouse"?  I thought that second "a"
>was actually an "o". :-)

Actually its Mac WareHouse and I prefer Kelly to Donna... :-)

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

mead@hamal.usc.edu (Dick Mead) (10/25/89)

	Used to be, everyone was seeing 'commies' behind every bush.
	Now it's 'sexists'!
	Or should I say "Mac-sexists".

850181f@aucs.uucp (S. Ferguson-Parker) (10/25/89)

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:

>Adam Frix writes:

>> David Dmytryshyn writes:
>> >Anybody ever notice those MacWharehouse adds?

>> I wrote a paper for linguistics class that depended heavily on the obvious
>> sexism exhibited by MacWarehouse (or, as you imply, MacWhorehouse).

>I always thought they were just trying to add a personal freindly touch
>to their company.

  You have got to be kidding!!

[stuff deleted]
>By the way have you noticed that
>when you call for an order the operator actualy says "Hi, I'm _____.".
>Is this sexest too?

  There is a great difference between a person answering a phone and a person's
picture being used in every catalog the company puts out!

>Actualy I like flipping through the catalog and
>trying to find them before I finish my order, it's almost like a TV
>telephone.

  I suppose an analogy could be drawn here to the so called "Men's
Magazines", but I'll refrain from talking about this aspect.

>> I like MacWarehouse,
>> they have good prices, good support, good delivery, and I spend my money
>> there.
>
>> --Adam--
>
>The bottom line is the bottom line.  I spend my money there too.
>Even though John took my order one day. :-)

>Pete Hoch

  I will spend my money on a company that does not need such *cheap* immature
tactics to "get" customers.

Steven E. Ferguson-Parker Acadia Univ. School of Computer Science
Wolfville N.S. Canada BOP1XO
UUCP:      {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!850181f
BITNET:    850181f@Acadia
Internet:  850181f%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Post: P.O. Box 846 Wolfville N.S. Canada B0P 1X0

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (10/25/89)

 > In article <1989Oct19.212912.4097@ziebmef.mef.org> djd@ziebmef.mef.org
 >         (David Dmytryshyn) writes:
 > >Just to waste a bit more bandwidth, anyone know how to break a
 > >Tetris addiction?  I just can't stop.
 >
 > Have you tried Dark Castle?  How about NetHack?  NetHack has
 > completely cured my Tetris addiction, and it's free, too.

The idea wasn't to try and start another addiction... :)

 > There is also the option to use your Macintosh for useful, productive
 > work...
 >
 > Earle R. Horton

How do I access that option?  Is it one of these hidden foomfing frog
cow things?  Err, fooming cat cows... Umm, zooming mouse cows... Aw,
forget it...  The macintosh is just a game machine anyways... ;)

--- signature starts here ---

David Dmytryshyn        EMAIL:  whatever it says above &
                                djd@ziebmef.mef.org

--- I'm doing a project on people who read sigs., you seem like
an ideal candidate...

---
 * Origin: Future Vision:  Progressive & Innovative (1:250/428)

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (10/25/89)

Look, this companies sells good stuff at a good price and has obviously
designed an advertising campaign that they feels work for them
(I also forgot to mention their fantastic delivery overnight for $3.00).
Kerry is the manager of the sales reps (hence her picture is on everything).
Have they posed in swimsuits?  Have they used phrases in the ads like
"for a good time.....".  *NO* they have not.  Their ads with Kerry
usually picture her wearing a bulky sweater and one of those
phone headsets.  Hardly the "come hither" that some folks on the
net would have you believe (I forgot she is *smiling* I guess that
could be miscontrued....).  Seriously, any percieved "sexism" has
to be generated by the beholder; IMHO I certainly don't see anything
particularly sexist about it.  Another interesting point is that all
the complaints that I can remember reading here are coming from *guys*.
What do the women on the net think?  Do they find these ads sexist?
(I showed the ad in question to my wife last night and told her about
the current flap on the net....she replied something along the lines
of "they're upset about *that* ?!" in a more or less incredulous
tone).

With a little imagination I'm sure some folks could find a little bit
better cause to champion than trying to make MacWareHouse change their
advertising campaign  :-)

I personally have ordered & will continue to order lots of stuff from
MacWareHouse because of their excellent prices, service, and delivery.
Of course, anyone who finds their ads (or there use of split infinitives
in ads or whatever) offensive of course has the right to buy their
Mac software elsewhere.  My guess is that the folks running MacWareHouse
aren't particularly nervous :-)

Regarding the flames: Go ahead and call me a "cave newt" if it gets it out
of your system (i'm sure I'll do the same for you some day :-).

-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (10/26/89)

Do you know if they'll have a 1990 MacWhareHouse calender with Kerry, Donna,
and the whole bunch?  :-)

macduff@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Roger R. Espinosa) (10/26/89)

In article <120795@felix.UUCP>, kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:

> What I did notice in the most recent ads is an emphasis on hardware and
> accessories in MacWarehouse without any of the emerging software listed.
> MacConnection, however, had Adobe Type Manager prominently displayed and
> After Dark (screen saver) in their ad. They got my first order yesterday.
> However, they couldn't provide ATM today and asked if it would be OK to
> wait another day and send both at the same time.
>
> I said OK, because it is more efficient, but in similar circumstances,
> MacWarehouse never asked. They just sent things out as they had them, at
> their expense.
>
> Shirley Kehr

Actually, I've normally bought from MacConnection, even though I've
always like the MacWarehouse catalogs better (more informative, less
"hype", e.g. the MacConnection 30/60 MPG catalog).  I've always seen
the pictures as Shirley sees them - they're just letting you see *who*
you're calling.

If you want sexism in computer ads, there used to be an ad in Byte
where they had this naked woman whose (ahem) parts were blocked by
a PC (MS-DOS. Trash for a trashy ad :-), and this was supposed to signify
that prices were THAT MINIMAL, or something like that.

MacConnection, BTW, usually has shipped things separately for me,
as in the latest case when I bought ATM and SmalltalkV/Mac, and they
shipped Smalltalk a week before ATM.  I think in your case it was because
there would only be a day difference.  And yes, they shipped my
packages at their expense.  The first time I ever called MacWarehouse
(to buy a Grapper Mac, ugh) they didn't have it, so I switched to
MacConnection, and stayed there ever since.

Roger Espinosa
rre@ihlpn.ATT.COM

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (10/27/89)

Gee didn't expect that much response. Firstly, I'd like to say that
I never meant the implication which is derived from replacing
an "a" with an "o" in MacWharehouse, I was more curious as to
whether anyone found the adds offensive.  (some obviously have)
Some of you were probably thinking me a puritan, but if you met
me face to face, you'd probably be thinking the exact opposite!
(I can say that with almost certain certainty) Amazing what the
medium does.  I never said that I found the adds offensive, I
was more interested in the impression which the add leaves with
people.

The whole thing actually stemmed from a series of commercials on
TV, which advertised one of these 1-976 phone numbers which had
a similar delivery, but they were indeed not selling computer
related products.

If one hasn't seen these commercials, one doesn't necessarily
ponder the similarities, I did see, and did ponder. (must have
had alot of spare time on my hands that particular evening)

David..  (I really couldn't care less if Kerry is on the other
          end of the line)

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Future Vision:  Progressive & Innovative (1:250/428)

mmig6535@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/27/89)

I just read about this flap and am surprised, I too never really thought
much about it, but that doesn't mean much, a lot of what people do
can be taken as either bad or good depending on the cynisism of the
observer. personally, if I ran a company, I could see myself running
hi i'm kerry ads cuz that's just how I'd like us to sound, and
wouldn't even have thought about it as a tactic (except as a friendly
tactic). gee, but then I don't look like kerry, so I guess I'm free
to be as friendly as I want and no one would accuse me of being cheap :)
I wonder if kerry's flattered?   -mark

jeremyr@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (10/27/89)

Could some kind soul please mail me the address of
MacWareHouse?  Sounds like a good place to buy stuff from.
(Now, if no-one had complained about the sexist advertising,
thereby providing more advertising from people saying how good
the place is, I'd never have heard of it...)

budd@inmet (10/27/89)

	Has anybody looked at the latest catalog, Vol 3.1? Not only are
	there pictures of Kerry, Donna, Peggy and Tiffany, but now you
	can see Victor, Don, Darren and John. Are these guys pictures
	there for their sex appeal??

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (10/27/89)

In article <89102623321613@masnet.uucp> david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) writes:
> > There is also the option to use your Macintosh for useful, productive
> > work...

>How do I access that option?  Is it one of these hidden foomfing frog
>cow things?  Err, fooming cat cows... Umm, zooming mouse cows... Aw,
>forget it...  The macintosh is just a game machine anyways... ;)

You have one option: buy THINK C 4.0 (a great package) and
write your OWN game... Then you have both at the same time !

And, speaking about dogcows that go Moof! (TM) check out
the heading of Tech Note #256 8)

					h+@nada.kth.se
					== h+@proxxi.se
--
Unreasonable men makes life so difficult.

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/30/89)

budd says:

>Has anybody looked at the latest catalog, Vol 3.1? Not only are there
>pictures of Kerry, Donna, Peggy and Tiffany, but now you can see
>Victor, Don, Darren and John. Are these guys pictures there for their
>sex appeal??

Well, my original post on this issue was, when quoted the first time,
quoted out of context.  Since then, everyone has been flaming me with
knowledge of only that paraphrasing, not the original post.  I mentioned
that if you look at the catalog MacWarehouse has put pictures of all their
customer service reps inside, on each page, a different rep on each page.
I even mentioned that this showed their real intent, to wit, an effort to
be friendly and welcoming.  I questioned why they didn't rotate these same
people in their display advertising in the magazines.  My conclusion was,
and remains, that MW is in full knowledge that "Hi, I'm Kerry, call me!"
is much more likely to bring in fresh business from magazine readers than
"Hi, I'm Don, call me" will.  C'mon, people, hasn't anyone studied any
social psychology?  The company has to have a gimmick to bring in new
customers.  Kerry is it.  And that's plain sexist.  It's a relief that
they don't restrict their catalog pages to Kerry clones, but that doesn't
change the Kerry effect of the magazine ads.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!Adam.Frix
INET: Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/30/89)

While we're on the subject of MacWarehouse, let me ask those who responded
that they didn't think the Kerry thing was an obvious sexist ploy:  what
do you think about the Doublemint gum commercials?  C'mon, gorgeous female
twins coyly teasing Biff and Todd with a dropped hanky and a double wink
of the eye, with the jingle "A double pleasure's waitin' for you"?
"Double fresh, double smooth...double delicious to chew"?  Advertising
people don't do things without specific, usually researched reasons.
Those twins are gorgeous and teasing for a good reason--because it gets
Joe Public to pay attention.  In our society, even the women wouldn't
respond as well to the same ad if it used, say, twins that looked like
Mary Gross or Jane Curtin.  Kerry is there for a reason.  I dare
MacWarehouse to admit their ploy and start shuffling their customer
service reps' pictures in their magazine ads.

--Adam--

--

Jeremy Roussak writes:

>Could some kind soul please mail me the address of MacWareHouse?
>Sounds like a good place to buy stuff from.

Call 1-800-ALL-MACS and ask for Kerry.  Tell her the net sent you.

--Adam--

--

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (10/31/89)

In article <27856.254C785B@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>do you think about the Doublemint gum commercials?  C'mon, gorgeous female
>twins coyly teasing Biff and Todd with a dropped hanky and a double wink
>of the eye, with the jingle "A double pleasure's waitin' for you"?

	Oh please....

	You may not have noticed, but there exists a Doublemint commercial
with two guys doing the winking & hanky dropping, as it were.

	Give it a rest, OK? You've made your point. Some people agree,
some don't, and some could care less.

(This article is definitely NOT to be construed as Symantec policy!)

R.

 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."