[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 crashes under MultiFinder

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (10/26/89)

I've had problems with Word 4.0 crashing under MultiFinder on a 2 MB
Mac SE.  The Microsoft helpline react incredulously with "There are no
bugs in Word 4.0" (how do they KNOW??!?)

Anyone else seen this?  I'm not totally naive, and have made sure I
have a pukka 6.0.3 system.

Tim
--
tjfs@tadtec.uucp   ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Titan House, Castle Park, CAMBRIDGE, CB3 0AY, UK

>I've had problems with Word 4.0 crashing under MultiFinder on a 2 MB
>Mac SE.  The Microsoft helpline react incredulously with "There are no
>bugs in Word 4.0" (how do they KNOW??!?)

Well, I beta tested Word 4 on a 2Meg Mac under multifinder. Until I
upgraded to a Mac2, I was using it a couple of hours a number, all under
Multifinder. I use it on a daily basis here on a 4 Meg Mac SE under
multifinder. It's never crashed in any of those configurations. (I could,
for that matter, find a couple of hundred machines here at Apple that meet
that configuration where it works fine...). Which leads me to believe
that there's something funky about your configuration or machine -- perhaps
multifinder is corrupted? Or the Word binary? Or flakey ram? Or etc?

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

jdm@boulder.Colorado.EDU (James D. Meiss) (10/27/89)

In article <TJFS.89Oct26095508@tadtec.uucp> tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) writes:
>... The Microsoft helpline react incredulously with "There are no
>bugs in Word 4.0" (how do they KNOW??!?)

	This is ridiculous. There is a documented bug that has bitten
me repeatedly: copy a large picture from word into the clipboard. Word
messes up the (so I was told) 128th byte. As an example do this with
an equation created by expressionist. Often expressionist will choke
on the mangled picture and  crash.

	This bug makes Word 4.0 pretty difficult for me to use, being
a Mathematician/Physicist!

	I believe there are several other bugs. For example type at
the end of a paragraph, just before a paragraph with a different style,
say a style that includes boldface, or outlined text. Now type "
command-shift-+ 2 command-shift-space" and then continue typing. Often the
text now acquires the style of the following paragraph, and no amount
of command-shift-spacing will fix it, unless you select the offending
text and then type command-shift-space. This is extremely aggravating,
and never happened in 3.02.
	Has anyone else experienced this one? I could go on....but
am not sure of my remaining complaints.

		Jim Meiss
		jdm@euclid.Colorado.edu

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (10/31/89)

In article <35942@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>I've had problems with Word 4.0 crashing under MultiFinder on a 2 MB
>>Mac SE.  The Microsoft helpline react incredulously with "There are no
>>bugs in Word 4.0" (how do they KNOW??!?)
>
>Well, I beta tested Word 4 on a 2Meg Mac under multifinder. Until I
>upgraded to a Mac2, I was using it a couple of hours a number, all under
>Multifinder. I use it on a daily basis here on a 4 Meg Mac SE under
>multifinder. It's never crashed in any of those configurations. (I could,

A "crash" and a "bug" are two different things.  Someone was keeping a list
of bugs and I contributed a few.  HOWEVER, a lot of people are using Word 4
under MultiFinder successfully (including me), so check your inits.

Avi Rappoport

Disclaimer: Don't blame Rich for anything I say.
nilesinc@well.uucp, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink