[comp.sys.mac] Internal modems for the Mac II

rgm@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) (10/25/89)

I'm interested in information on the various internal (NuBus) modems
available for the Macintosh II, especially how they relate to popular
terminal programs like VersaTerm and ZTerm.

Please e-mail, etc. Thanks.

>GIVE COIN TO CHARON			|  Robert Menke
"So educated," giggles the voice in	|	OCF.berkeley.edu!rgm
your ear...				|	apple!bmug!Robert.Menke
               TEAM CS -- Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today!

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct24.184542.10686@agate.berkeley.edu> rgm@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) writes:
>I'm interested in information on the various internal (NuBus) modems
>available for the Macintosh II, especially how they relate to popular
>terminal programs like VersaTerm and ZTerm.

	I can not comment on the modems themselves (as I have not used all of
them, and some only briefly) but the way they work is since the Macintosh OS
does not understand more than two serial ports or serial devices they must
patch the OS to think that when a program is tallking to your modem port it is
really talking to the internal modem.
	The method works but as mentioned you do lose a port in the process.
This deficiency will be corrected in the Communications Toolbox's Connection
Manager and the rerelease of drivers for these modems that support it.

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/27/89)

From: rgm@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke)
          ^^^^^^^^^^
Did you actually give this name to a machine, or is it just someone
else's fault? :-)

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) (10/28/89)

Leonard writes (with respect to internal modems):
>>        I can not comment on the modems themselves (as I have not used all
of
them, and some only briefly) but the way they work is since the Macintosh OS
does not understand more than two serial ports or serial devices they must
patch the OS to think that when a program is tallking to your modem port it is
really talking to the internal modem.
<<

Does anyone know how the Mac Portable handles it's internal modem AND it's two
external serial ports?  Special code?  Partial implementation of the CTB?
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/31/89)

In article <1372@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>> [my comments about internal modems]
>
>Does anyone know how the Mac Portable handles it's internal modem AND it's two
>external serial ports?  Special code?  Partial implementation of the CTB?

	The Mac Portable DOES NOT deal with the issues, per se, it simply does
what the other internals do and that is to replace the modem port with the
internal modem (this is done via the Portable cdev).  There is special code in
place here to do this (just like other internal cards for other Macs) but I
wonder what will happen with the CTB...Will the Portable now be limited in the
future for lack of ports, or......??  (comments Apple?!?!)

alexr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (10/31/89)

In article <1372@orbit.UUCP> pj@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Paul Jacoby) writes:
>Leonard writes (with respect to internal modems):
>>>        I can not comment on the modems themselves (as I have not used all
>of
>them, and some only briefly) but the way they work is since the Macintosh OS
>does not understand more than two serial ports or serial devices they must
>patch the OS to think that when a program is tallking to your modem port it is
>really talking to the internal modem.
><<
>
>Does anyone know how the Mac Portable handles it's internal modem AND it's two
>external serial ports?  Special code?  Partial implementation of the CTB?
>.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
>| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!pj |  Working with idiots keeps |
>| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!pj@nosc.mil           |  my life interesting...    |
>| INET: pj@pnet51.cts.com                        |                            |
>`-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

What really happens is that one of the three ASIC chips in the portable
handles physical mapping of the internal modem to the printer or modem
port. Through software calls to the Power Manager chip, this switching
can be activated. The software Apple supplies only maps the modem to the
modem port, "to avoid confusing the user". The Communications Toolbox
cannot do much to provide all the ports simulationiously, as it is intended
to do on regular Macs. I won't mention my feelings on this internal modem
implementation chosen for the Portable; it may start up some sort of
Holy War. :-)

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu     - Yoyodyne    -
-  3 Admiral Dr. #453      - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alexr  - Propulsion  -
-  Emeryville, CA 94608    - BITNET:alexr%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET    - Systems     -
-  (415) 658-1032          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -