[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0 fractional widths still farcical

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (10/27/89)

In article <TJFS.89Oct26095508@tadtec.uucp> tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) writes:
>I've had problems with Word 4.0 crashing under MultiFinder on a 2 MB
>Mac SE.  The Microsoft helpline react incredulously with "There are no
>bugs in Word 4.0" (how do they KNOW??!?)

Exactly! But then again, maybe the reason why its release was delayed for
so long was to have a roomful of monkeys trying every possible combination
of features. :-)

Seriously though, even if Word 4.0 is bug-free, it doesn't mean that
the program does things *right*. MS still have not completely solved
one fundamental problem with Word---round-off/truncation error in their
justification algorithm, so much so that 4.0's `fractional widths' still
deserves the `farcical widths' nickname. You don't have to do terribly
much to see this. Just type a whole paragraph containing a decent number
of font changes between Times and Symbol, then select full justification.
Look at that awful, ragged right margin! I've been at MS about this on
and off for the past year (since 3.01 days) and I was very disappointed
to see the problem still there. (There also used to be problems with
footnote references too, but MS have fudged things so that it doesn't
happen all the time now. But it is STILL there.)

Moral: Don't use MS Word for technical writing. Try TeX/LaTeX instead
(because it's brilliant, and usually almost free). I still use Word
for straight prose and mickey-mouse tech writing because for that sort
of work, it is still my preferred tool.

Sigh.

Ben Lian

Dept of EE & CS, Uni of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc,mcvax,hplabs,nttlab}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben
ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz  Ph: 002-202380  Fax: 002-202713

>Exactly! But then again, maybe the reason why its release was delayed for
>so long was to have a roomful of monkeys trying every possible combination
>of features. :-)

Actually, from talking to people I know at Microsoft, that *have* a Desk
Accessory called "monkey" that will type in random keystrokes and mouse
movements. It is part of their testing procedure -- just fire it up and let
it whap away like a three-year-old would....

>Moral: Don't use MS Word for technical writing. Try TeX/LaTeX instead
>(because it's brilliant, and usually almost free).

Or use MS Word for your writing, and if the layout is important, use a
layout program of some sort. That's why they exist...

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Trust Mama Nature to remind us just how important things like sci.aquaria's
name really is in the scheme of things.

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (10/28/89)

In article <35975@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Actually, from talking to people I know at Microsoft, that *have* a Desk
>Accessory called "monkey" that will type in random keystrokes and mouse
>movements. It is part of their testing procedure -- just fire it up and let
>it whap away like a three-year-old would....

I could be gullible enough to believe this. It's so far-out that it could
almost be true! Are you serious, Chuq? Confirmation would really make my
day, and heaven knows how much I need cheering up right now.

>>Moral: Don't use MS Word for technical writing. Try TeX/LaTeX instead
>>(because it's brilliant, and usually almost free).
>
>Or use MS Word for your writing, and if the layout is important, use a
>layout program of some sort. That's why they exist...

Yes, I agree. Horses for courses. BUT when I specify full justification, I
expect AT LEAST reasonably flush right margins. For the example I gave
previously (many font changes within a paragraph), MS Word doesn't even
come close. Come to think of it, even for plain prose, the right margin
isn't all that flush either...but I'm being picky now. Chuq is quite right.
Word is NOT a typesetting program.

Ben Lian

Dept of EE & CS, Uni of Tasmania, GPO Box 252C, Hobart TAS 7001, Australia
UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc,mcvax,hplabs,nttlab}!munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben
ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz  Ph: 002-202380  Fax: 002-202713

>In article <35975@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>Actually, from talking to people I know at Microsoft, that *have* a Desk
>>Accessory called "monkey" that will type in random keystrokes and mouse
>>movements. It is part of their testing procedure -- just fire it up and let
>>it whap away like a three-year-old would....

>I could be gullible enough to believe this. It's so far-out that it could
>almost be true! Are you serious, Chuq? Confirmation would really make my
>day, and heaven knows how much I need cheering up right now.

I was serious. They told me about it when I called up to report the bug my
cockatoo found in Word 3.01. (She does a good imiation of a monkey at a
keyboard -- if she would stop eating the stupid mouse...)

--

6sigma@polari.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (10/30/89)

In article <1083@diemen.cc.utas.oz> ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) writes:
|In article <35975@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
|>Actually, from talking to people I know at Microsoft, that *have* a Desk
|>Accessory called "monkey" that will type in random keystrokes and mouse
|>movements. It is part of their testing procedure -- just fire it up and let
|>it whap away like a three-year-old would....
|I could be gullible enough to believe this. It's so far-out that it could
|almost be true! Are you serious, Chuq? Confirmation would really make my
|day, and heaven knows how much I need cheering up right now.

I don't know what Microsoft is using, but I have an ancient DA called
Monkey that does this, so it wouldn't surprise me any if Microsoft has
the same thing.

neilh@microsoft.UUCP (Neil Hoopman) (10/30/89)

In article <36000@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>In article <35975@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>>Accessory called "monkey" that will type in random keystrokes and mouse
>>>movements. It is part of their testing procedure -- just fire it up and let
>>>it whap away like a three-year-old would....
>
>>I could be gullible enough to believe this. It's so far-out that it could
>>almost be true! Are you serious, Chuq? Confirmation would really make my
>>day, and heaven knows how much I need cheering up right now.
>
>I was serious. They told me about it when I called up to report the bug my
>cockatoo found in Word 3.01. (She does a good imiation of a monkey at a
>keyboard -- if she would stop eating the stupid mouse...)

Oh, now come on Chuq!  If Microsoft is using a "monkey", we're just
following Apple's lead ;-).  Check out Inside Macintosh Vol 1, Page 261:

   "Before the Macintosh was introduced, Macintosh Software
    Engineering created a special desk accessory of its own for
    testing Macintosh software.  This desk accessory, which was
    based on the journaling mechanism, didn't use a file-- it
    generated events RANDOMLY, putting the Macintosh "through its
    paces" for long periods of time without requiring a user's
    attention."

I looked around for the "monkey" desk accessory, but I couldn't find
it.  Being a Word tester, I'm qualified to say that even if this desk
accessory existed, it was by no means the core of our testing
strategy!!

As for the spark of this conversation, fractional widths, I'll check
it out and see what I can suggest...

(Before people starting throwing sticks, rocks and small shrubberies
at me, bear in mind that I read and respond to the net on my own time :-)

Neil Hoopman - Microsoft Corp.                         uunet!microsoft!neilh
------------------------------                  microsoft!neilh@uunet.UU.NET
"Carpe Diem. Seize the day.         microsoft!neilh@beaver.cs.washington.edu
 Make your lives extraordinary."    ----------------------------------------
 - Dead Poets Society                  Neil?  Neil who?  Posted what?  When?

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (11/08/89)

In article <1989Nov3.141748.18511@iex.uucp> cramer@athens.UUCP (Bill Cramer) writes:
>In article <1090@diemen.cc.utas.oz> ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) writes:
>>This follow-up really should be in comp.text, but since the thread started
>>here....
>>
>>In article <122912@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
>>>In article <1082@diemen.cc.utas.oz> ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) writes:
>>>
>>>For those who don't have to use justification, fractional widths does get
>>>rid of the wide spaces between italicized words. Also all technical
>>>writing does not imply mathematical/chemical etc. text using symbol font.
>>>Some studies have shown that ragged right is preferable to justification
>>>for readability. So why do people persist in using justification?
>>>
>seminars was on human interface issues.  The issue of justification came
>up then, and the opinion of the seminar teachers was that ragged right was
>easier to read.  Several of these teachers were published; the only one
>I can remember off hand was the guy who wrote a common college text on
>human interfaces -- "Interactive Graphic Interfaces" or something like
>that.  I think his name was "Foley".  Sorry I can't come up with a more
>exact reference -- they say the memory is the first thing to go (or was
>it the second? :-)
>
>At any rate, (now I am digressing into my own opinion...), flush right
>does indeed *look* prettier (IMHO).  That does not necessarily mean that
>flush right *reads* easier -- a BIG, BIG difference.  The cleanest LOOKING
>page (again, IMHO) is one set in 10 point times with 6 1/2 inch flush
>right columns.  It's neat, it's sweet, and it's damn hard to read more
>than a page or two without stopping to rub your eyes and stare out the
>window for a bit.

Yes, of course! In addition to good hyphenation, I should have added that
overall page design is important. Both ragged right and full justification
are awful if (a) the leading is wrong and (b) the columns are too wide.
White space must also be used carefully. A rough guide to how wide lines
should be is to try to have between 10 to 12 words per line, or about
60 to 70 characters (including spaces). There are no hard and fast rules;
one has to trust one's eye and experience. For example, with TeX's
Computer Modern font, I like 12 point type on 13 point leading, and a line
width of just under 150mm (sorry, we're metric down here). I could probably
get away with 10 or 20mm more because Computer Modern has a wider pitch
than, say, Times (at the same size). Incidentally, one other reason why I
prefer TeX and Computer Modern is that the characters look better formed
at the LaserWriter's 300dpi resolution. Times, Palatino, and other serifed
and semi-serifed fonts are simply too subtle for a printer of such low
resolution to render properly, particularly at anything under 14 points.
In fact, it is positively pathetic compared to a Linotype at 1200dpi! But
at USD 6.00 per A4 page, I can't afford to be too fussy!

Really, page design is a difficult business. I'm only at amateur at it.
So, call me a fool if you will, but I still say that flush right is NOT
an ancient fad.